Chapter 17

Tuk removed the large hood that he used to cover his head, when he was brought to see the Queen. But he removed it only after the guard had left. He wore the large cloak with a hood to be able to move unnoticed, and to make sure that he is not spotted by the many spies on Anantachay's payroll.

After the customary deep bow he proceeded to tell the Queen all that he had been told of the conspiracy at hand, and added the last remaining details that he had just learned earlier this evening.

"A Chinese force of two hundred of their best trained and most capable soldiers will arrive close to the city in two days. The Lord has chosen a path for their travel along routes controlled by men under his control and of which he is absolutely certain will not betray him. They intend to use the celebrations to storm the city with great speed and take the palace and capture your family. He has already provided free food and rice wine for your soldiers and intends to keep them distracted in his establishments."

"Kanda listened carefully, and then she shared her part of the plan.

"My father has sent five hundred of his troops commanded by my brother. They left Luang Prabang two days ago and will arrive close to the city tomorrow evening."

Kanda allowed the young man a few moments to contemplate the new information.

"And what role has Anantachai chosen for you to play Tuk?"

"He told me that I am to go and meet the Chinese at the arranged location the day after tomorrow when the sun is at its highest. Ghao will already be there commanding this force and I am supposed to bring them into the city."

Kanda was right when she reached out to this young man. Little mouse was right when he told her that he is a good man trapped in a bad position.

"You are an honorable man Tuk. When little mouse told me of the way you reacted after talking to Ananchatai I knew that we can come together to rid ourselves of the terrible fat pig once and for all."

She took his hands in hers and smiled with affection.

"Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am glad that you are on our side." And she kissed him in the forehead.

"Here is what you will do. You will leave earlier tomorrow evening and go meet my brother and his troops. You will give this to Oun and he will know exactly what to do and you will follow his commands."

She take the piece of paper where she wrote a short letter while speaking just now, she put it in a Chinese puzzle box and handed it to him.

"Butbefore you leave tomorrow, I need you to do one more thing."known��y��Rk