Chapter 11

Queen Kanda normally starts her days with a traditional tea ceremony, probably the only good thing that her native people have taken from the Chinese and made their own. She was born in Luang Prabang which lies to the North. It is the land of the hill tribes. They are a proud people, never surrendering to the constant attack from their neighbors. It was a good childhood and she had many good memories from back home. Running in the hills around the town with her brothers, jumping and playing in the nearby waterfalls or swimming in the river was a very happy time for her.

She is the second daughter of the head of a group of tribes, her father Sisavang Kham is a respected and honorable man. He is a good ruler who is loved by his people. She was loved by her family and by her people too, and when her father had decided that she was to marry the prince Rama, who was the same age as her, she trusted her father's judgment and she obeyed.

She first met her husband at the wedding ceremony. But right away felt at ease with him. They both were only twenty years old, and at first he was shy even more than her. With her wild northern spirit she made him feel comfortable and started to open up to her. In a short time she came to know that he is a good man, with a good heart, and above all an honest man, both with his emotions and to his people.

With every year they spent together she respected and loved Rama more and more. Their happiness always growing, first with sweet Pinky and then with the next king Arthit, they had been trying and waited for an heir many years, and when he was born all the kingdom celebrated for twenty days. Her children are the most precious thing in her life, they are the light in her eyes, and every single beat of her heart is for them.

That is why this morning she is sad, because in this happy time of celebration she can't console her daughter, who hasn't stop crying since she came home, or more accurately since they took the farang away.

"Calm down my child, you have been through a lot. I know it's been very hard for you. The tigers must have scared you a lot. Please tell me, what can I do to help?"

Wiping away her tears she speaks softly, her voice a little sore from all the crying. "I don't care about that. I already forgot about the tiger. They put him in a cage mother. They beat him. And he was good to me. He saved me. He's a hero. He's my hero."

Kanda puts her hands around her daughter's head "my sweet, sweet, Pinky. I Know all this, you told me already. Yes he saved you, but why do you care so much about this man. You don't even know him. He's a stranger."

"No he's not. Not to me. We only spent a short time together, but Miki is a good man, an honest man, a brave man." She takes her mother's hands in hers and looks at the ground like she's shy or ashamed. "Mama it is not just that he saved me. When he speaks to me I feel special. When he looks into my eyes I feel warm inside. I don't know how to explain it, I feel strange. I can't stop thinking about him. Could this be love?"

Kanda can feel it in her voice that she truly cares about this man. "My sweet child, this is strange for me too. You know that I sent you on the pilgrimage to the holy temple so that maybe you will glimpse your destiny. And what I was praying for that the universe will provide us with a way to save you from marrying Lord Anantachai."

The tears flow again from Pinky's eyes. "I will never marry that disgusting fat pig. I will go to the jungle and give myself to the tigers if you make me marry him."

"Maybe the universe has answered all our prayers my child. Maybe it was no accident that this man crossed your path that day. Maybe he is your destiny."

A small child came running in the queen's chambers stopped by no one. "My queen, my Queen, they plan to ruin us all, I heard them. It's terrible."

******

From since he could remember, Chati has been a very active child. Now he's almost eight years old, although he looks like he is five years old, and he is more lively and full of energy than ever before, and then all other boys at his age. Everybody calls him Little Mouse, because of his small body and the way that he's always running around everywhere, sneaking around and between people's legs without them even noticing.

The nickname has become so popular that even his mother has trouble remembering his name sometimes. He had grown up in and around the royal palace. His mother a chamber maid to her majesty the Queen, and he has always had the freedom to where his interest took him. The Queen is so fond of him that she treats him like he is family.

Highly intelligent and always looking out for the people he cares about, he knows everything that is going on in this big city. People don't notice him, he knows the tree tops so well and all corners of the city, and those very few that do see him are used to it that they pay no attention anymore.

Of all the people in his life he cares the most for the Queen and her two children because she has been so good to him. Always giving him sweets and treats, she tries to give him nice clothes too, made from the finest silk but he always refuses, always with the words 'when I rip them or get them dirty I will feel so bad, I don't want that.' When he is playing with prince Arthit in the palace gardens the servants treat them the same, the Queen had made sure of that, whatever food was brought for the prince they brought the same for him.

And the thing that he was most aware of was that Lord Anantachai was evil, very evil. On many nights he would sneak into the man's garden, jumping from tree top to tree top over the wall. And last night the things he heard terrified him so much that as soon as he knew the Queen would be awake he ran straight to tell her.

"What is it little mouse? What scared you so much? Come! Tell me." said Kanda with a motherly tome.

Little mouse tells everything that he overheard with an exited voice. Trying carefully not to leave out or forget anything.

Hearing the story Kanda embraces the child. "Don't worry little mouse I will not let anyone hurt you, or any of us. You are my family, and remember, family always protects each other."

"And you say Tuk punched the tree angrily? I always thought that he was Anantachai's right hand man. It would appear that maybe he can be easily persuaded to come over to our side, he will be a formidable ally."

Kanda stands up and commands the servants. "Call up a messenger. I need to send word to my father, quickly!"

Pinky has been listening to the boy tell his story but her mind was still on her troubles. "Little mouse, will you do something for me? Will you take something to Miki? Please."

"You mean the farang?" the boy's quick wit made the connection right away. You never needed to explain things to him too much.

"You know I can't refuse you. You are like my big sister. Give it to me and I will find a way to get to him." He smiles sweetly hoping to make her feel better.

"Give me some time and I will call for you when it is ready."

Pinkyfound her strength again. Wiping off the tears she tries to find the rightwords to express her feelings. There is hope. All is not lost.