Chapter 2

After running for many hours, a man on the brink of exhaustion reaches the tall city gates of Ayutthaya. The guards at the gates hear him whisper only two words before he loses his consciousness. "The princess! Tigers!"

The man is brought to the square in front of Phra Ram Temple, and lay him down in the shadow cast by the gold covered spire. This is the central and most holy place in the whole city. When the spire catches the sun's rays at right angle it sends a magnificent blanket of shimmering honey color over the whole city.

Lord Anantachai is called to question the poor soul. The big rounded form of the wealthiest man in the kingdom pushes through the crowd, swearing and hitting all the curious people that had by then gathered to see what all the commotion is about.

Lord Anantachai is only forty years old and in a very short time he had arisen to the very top of Ayutthaya society. He had lied, cheated and stole, even killed when need be, but he had made it. He is the most powerful man in the kingdom, not even the King could refuse his wishes all too easily. His ambition was not yet satisfied. Always keeping his eye on the ultimate prize, and working hard to accomplish it. The plans already in motion, and if all the plans worked out, the people will soon bow down to him and call him king. And now this happens. Out of all possible things, this had to happen now.

He has been restless all day, the convoy was late, no word from them all day. And now, one of the soldiers, with his clothes all rags, drops at the city gates with no more of an explanation than 'tigers'. The rage engulfed him.

"Bring some buckets with water" he shouted at his men. "I need this man to speak. Now! Faster."

The men splash water over the soldier's head and he slowly starts to open his eyes.

"Tell me, tell me know. What happened? Where is the princess?" he could hardly contain his anger.

"They came out of nowhere, two of them." The poor man was sobbing. "The tigers were two fast, they tore us to pieces."

"And what of you, you worthless little jungle rat, how are you not in pieces like your comrades?"

"I was very scared my Lord. When the carnage started I started runn..."

A slap from the fat man stopped his rambling. "You stupid coward, your duty was to protect the princess. What happened to her?"

"I don't know my lord. I didn't have the courage to turn back and look at what was happening. It was terrifying. I just ran as fast as...."

The fat fist came down hard on the man's face, knocking him out again.

"Throw him to the crocodiles" he commanded.

******

"Lord Anantachai this is a big problem" said Ghao.

He is one of those very rare tall Thai men. With his long charcoal hair and his dark armor he is an intimidating figure that very few dare to look straight in the eyes.

Lord Anantachai is one of those few.

"Don't you think that I know that? Do you think me stupid?"

"Listen to me carefully you fat pig. My masters only supported you because of your big promises. And now with the princess possibly gone for good, what happens with those promises."

"I don't care for that tone of voice. You talk to me like this in my own house. I am still a powerful man here and you better remember that." He put on a brave face, but this man frightened him, he frightened him very much.

Regaining his composure, Anantachai continues with a softer voice. "My men will go to the attack site at first light. We will know then if all hope is lost. And if the worse comes to pass we will begin with the other plan. The heir to the throne is just a child of six, and you know how easy it is for children to have an accident."

Ghao remained unaffected by all this. "My poor Lord, my masters are not very patient men. Take care of this. Take care of it fast. Or the Chinese flood will sweep down from the north and eat you alive." And he left the fat man to contemplate his actions.

"Tuk."He called for his second in command that had been standing guard at the door."Gather a large search party and before dawn go and find out what reallyhappened to the princess."