Chapter 13

A rider is galloping through the jungle. He is pushing his horse to the limits of endurance, stopping only every few hours for water. In the past two days he had to change horses in 4 villages along his way north. Time is of the utmost importance. Dressed in simple peasant clothes, the red shirt that the royal messengers usually wear was not an option this time. This mission had to remain a secret. This messenger is on a mission for his Queen. He's on a secret mission that can mean their survival.

These northern lands are different than Ayutthaya, the trees are different, the fruit here is different. And the weather is much cooler in these hills than back home. When they are sent to come here on a mission it is the happiest time in the life of a royal messenger.

The rider arrives at Luang Prabang, and showing his royal seal he is allowed to see his highness Sisavang Kham.

Sisavang is in his seventies, but is still a formidable man. His body stands straight and his face portrays resolve and strength. And in his official silk gown with dragons embroidered in gold he is the epitome of royalty.

He takes the Chinese message box from the messenger and quickly performs the few twists and turns required to open the hidden compartment where the message is hidden. He always used this method of communication with his daughter, another thing from his pesky neighbors that he found quite useful.

After reading the message and realizing how the situation down south is about to escalate, he calls for his son.

"Oun my son, your sister needs our help, and the kingdom needs our help. Dirty snakes are preparing to overrun the capital and we need to help. Prepare our best fighters immediately and head south. When you arrive there Kanda will send someone to coordinate what needs to be done. Go."

yU