Chapter 14

Tuk has always thought of himself as an honorable man. Working for Anantachai left a bad taste in his mouth every single day. But he didn't choose this life, it was forced upon him. The only thing keeping him here was his sense of obligation.

Every time that he was sent to threaten or beat some poor man that had failed to pay the money demanded by the Lord, he imagined that he is hitting the fat man's face instead. And when some of the girls in the pleasure palace acted out of line and he had to discipline her, he would fantasize about putting a long blade in that disgusting fat belly. He hated that damned pleasure palace so much. It was him that had to hear the poor girls' crying and screaming. When he was sent to distant villages to buy them from their parents for a few coins, his heart was breaking. How can someone do a thing like this to their own child, for him his children are the most precious thing in his life and he would never let the actions of the fat man bring harm to them.

He had a good life once. He wasn't feared and hated by the people. He was a good child. Not very rich but hardworking, he used to get up before dawn to go pick fruits in the jungle and spend the day with his mother selling them in the market. His mother was a kind and gentle woman but she had the bad luck of choosing a worthless man. His father spent his days drinking and gambling away all their hard earned money, the little that they could make. And when he came back home after losing everything he would take his anger out on little Tuk, beating him until passing out from the drunkenness.

His only escape was the old men living in the house next to his. The man had once been a great warrior, in his hay day respected and praised by all but now in his old age forgotten in his little shack with no family of his own to take care of him, not that he needed to be taken care of for he was in very good shape for his years thanks to his strict discipline, or to help the days feel less lonely. He took pity on little Tuk and took him in like he was his own son. The boy had a pure heart and a good sense of honor. He was always submitting his young body to his father's drunken blows, doing all that to protect his poor mother from them.

Tuk liked the old man very much. He saw him and a wise man and love to listen the stories of his adventures. It wasn't long before the two of them spent every free moment together. The boy had found the perfect father figure that he badly needed, and the old man had found someone to whom he can pass on all that he knew and someone of who he could be proud of, that brought great pleasure to his lonely life. He had found a worthy successor for his legacy.

Together they were the perfect master and student. The lessons covered all different subjects needed to groom Tuk in to a good man above all else and a good and brave soldier. The little boy had advanced in all disciplines very quickly; from breathing techniques to expert swordplay, and from poetry to strategy.

At the age of seventeen the royal guard had taken notice and they were considering giving him a position with them, but Anantachai had other plans. He had also been alerted of the boy's promise from one of his many spies, and he had been looking for a way to take advantage of that.

He found exactly what he needed in the boy's father. That man was such a disaster that it wasn't difficult to use him as he needed. The foolish drunk was constantly lured in one or another of Anantachai's establishments where he was allowed to drink, eat and gamble to his heart's desire, the house always too generous to give credit. The debt had grown to a huge amount and when the Lord came to their home offering to take the boy to be his personal slave for 15 years as payment or to execute them all as criminals the boy had no choice but to bow his head and agree. It was wrong, and it was against all the principles that he had learned from his master, but when it came to choose between his suffering and the life of his mother, in his heart that choice was easy to make.

The old man was not the same after that day. He never forgave himself for being too weak and powerless to save his student from this terrible choice that he had to make. All the strength from his body and from his soul was gone. The old man passed away two months after that faithful day.

Now the fat man has gone too far. He has threatened all the people of Ayutthaya. He wanted to become kind no matter the cost. Tuk now found a new ally in the letter that little mouse brought to him, and the letter gave him resolve to do all he can to stop the evil lord.

The letter was from the Queen and it only said: 'Anantachai needs to be stopped. We know of his plans. I need your help.'

The response flashed in his mind immediately. "I agree and I'll help."

"sunda��y��S�