Chapter 2: Six Months

Start from the beginning

Breathe.

Open. The. Door. Dammit.

I did, and was greeted by Bridget.

"Hey Nik."

"Hey Bridge, come in." She walked past me, and I kissed her on the forehead.

"Smells good in here." She commented.

"Lasagna." I replied.

"Yummy." I led her to the dining room, and pulled out a chair for her to sit.

"Would you like some wine?" I asked.

"Sure. I think I'm gonna need it."

"Yeah, me too." I poured us each a glass. Conor served us and we both ate in silence. Then, finally.

"Nik, I need to talk to you about something."

"I need to talk to you about something first."

"Please, Nik, listen to me-"

"My father's marrying me off to one of his corporate buddies daughters." I stammered out. Well, so much for easing into it.

Smooth Nikolai, very smooth.

She froze.

"W-what?" She finally said.

"Yeah..." I trailed off, unsure what to say next.

"So, the dinner?"

"It was for me to meet her. And I have to marry her by the end of the month." I couldn't even look at her.

"Oh." Was all she said. We stayed silent for a long time.

"You wanted to tell me something?" I finally managed out.

"Oh, no. No I'm okay." She spoke. "I'm really sorry Nikolai."

"You're not angry?" I looked up at her.

"It's not like it's your fault, I mean I understand. Shit happens." She shrugged.

"I don't know what I'm going to do without you." I whispered. She held my hand across the table.

"It'll all work out Nikolai." She comforted me. We spoke for a while longer about moving on, and doing our own thing. I was sad about everything, even more so because she was so calm about it all, but still.

At least there were no tears or anything. After a while, she left, and I knew it would be for the last time. We were over. Broken up. Finished, and I was depressed about it. Her words continued to echo in my ears, like a broken record. First my parents, and the Johnson's, and now Bridget.

"It'll all work out Nikolai." And she was right, I just didn't know it then.

*

"As of right now, everything is all set for the wedding. Unless..." My mother was speaking to me. I still hadn't spoken to her. "Are you sure, Nikolai? A speedy court wedding?"

I was silent.

"Nikolai, please son, I know that you're upset, and you have every right to be, but please say something to me."

"How could you allow this when you know I'm unhappy?" I retorted.

"Believe me Nik, I've been trying to reason with your father, but he won't budge. I don't know what else to do."

"Boycott sex, that should change his mind pretty damn quick." I mumbled.

"Nik, gross!" She rolled her eyes at me. Mid roll, she stopped, and looked at me. "But since you're speaking to me, I'll roll with it. I have been!"