005. Indetectable

Start bij het begin

Sadly, Aoi pulled out the string holding his ponytail, and he dangled it in the air in front of him, revealing a small key piece attached to the string.

Kiro instinctively urged forward to grab it, clearly realizing the potential danger it possessed and the necessity we had to get it out of their possession.

“Aoi, hurry up.” Akai demanded. Aoi closed his eyes hesitantly, and squeezed the key so tightly that blood seeped from his closed palm.

“Undetectable: Six and seven.” He commanded. I blinked in confusion. What kind of code was that?

But in an instant, Aoi and Akai vanished into thin air. I scanned the area, hoping to at least catch sight of movement or even a shadow---but to no avail.

They seemed to have evaporated into thin air! But I was sure that was not the case. As Kiro, Kira and Akari stood there, stunned, I sighed heavily and beamed.

"Well, at least we know what to aim for next." I sighed, trying to remain optimistic. The sound of Kiro smacking his fist into his left hand's palm startled the three of us into silence.

“Bloody bastards… they got away!” he growled. My mouth fell open. I was at a loss for words until Kiro began explaining of his own accord.

“The 7th moon is a band of seven members attempting to overthrow the royal palace, though I'm sure they have darker objectives in mind, considering they're collecting the key pieces of all things.” Kiro explained darkly, and Kira joined him at his side.

“Our father has discovered that they are searching specifically for the children of the creators, assuming that they, themselves, can be used as weapons… or so rumors have circled.” Kira continued. I exchanged glances with Akari incredulously. Since when has such an organization been roaming the streets?

The children of the creators… I guess I never really thought about it. A key couldn’t come out of nowhere, I guess. But just how long has this key existed? What if their children had passed away, or were shrivelled and old? To be used as a weapon… I gulped. It sounded formidable. And extremely dangerous.

---

A couple hours had passed, and Akari and Kiro had left to gather food. I had insisted that we used one of our earrings, but Akari insisted those were emergency rations and to not seize the opportunity of collecting some fruits and herbs from this forest would be absolutely senseless.

Kira and I sat patiently on an enormous, sturdy log which resembled a bench more than anything.

The sun, already, was beginning to descend beneath the line of trees. Our time had been spent looking for the two, but no such luck.

The invisible city… invisible… is undetectable…?

I gaped, realizing the meaning we had so easily overlooked, and Kira jolted towards me, looking bewildered. “How could I have not realized? Aoi’s key piece is invisibility, of course, and he's probably cloaking the valley with some sort of strange barrier… but why?" I reminisced, and Kira beamed at me in awe, agreeing with me.

I recalled the distant, forlorn expression that Aoi possessed and could not piece him being with such a notorious organization… Akai I could certainly see in such an organization, that arrogant little prick, but Aoi? He was so gentle and timid, similar in manner to Kira. She was so valiant, so majestic---

My stomach growled.

I sighed, realizing how completely different our social classes were. It was funny, really.

I had just turned to ask Kira a question when something whacked the backside of my head. My balance wavered, and I fell backwards from the log, my legs still on it while my upper torso, arms, and head were being engulfed by dirt. Great.

I flipped backwards off of the log, and I landed gently on my feet. I brushed my dress, which was now, dark brown up the back, resembling a vulgar residue that Kira couldn't help but giggle at. Chunks of leaves were matted into my hair, and just as I turned my head, I spotted a red-faced Kiro who was frozen in a throwing position, looking flustered.

“Did you see them?” I demanded, flushed. Kiro shook his head rapidly, in complete denial.

He probably did. I grimaced, making a face at him.

Akari skipped over, picked up whatever Kiro had thrown at me, and spun over to me, smiling. She was strangely bubbly for being famished.

“Sorry, sis, Kiro was thrilled with our gathering so he's just overexicted.” She giggled, winking at Kiro flirtatiously. Oh dear lord, it was worst than I thought. Akari promptly handed me a small basket of fruits, which I shared with her after she handed hers to Kiro, who sat next to his sister.

“So, you two seem pretty close, don't you think?” I asked Akari suggestively, trying to pressure her into giving me full details. Her face turned bright crimson, and I knew I was on the right track.

 “I think you may, just maybe, have an interest in our prince over there, hmm…?" I asked curiously, nudging her before she broke into a little fit of bliss.

“W-w-w-w-what are you s-s-s-saying? There’s n-n-no way!” She stammered, being completely inconspicious. I decided to give her a break as she began to mumble to herself in denial, and I ate some of the fruit. At least I had some form of entertainment now.

---

After eating, we continued our search through the forest. Dusk was soon upon us and the air grew moist and chilly. The shade beneath the trees was beginning to grow slightly ominous and I wondered just where exactly we would take shelter for the night. Kiro, who was clearly determined to hunt down Aoi and Akai, would not take no for an answer, and the three of us were forced to follow him.

The more I looked at him, the more bewildered I got. Sure, his face may be half-decent, but he had tricked me, been rude to me, and was completely insensitive. I couldn't see why my sister saw something in him.

But, I guess if I had to be positive, at least he was a companion, and not an… enemy. My eyes grew heavy and my mind began to waver unsteadily, growing increasingly light-headed with every step I took. I stopped short, putting my hands to my face and feeling my hot skin burn against my cool fingers. My breath shortened, and my lungs almost felt as though someone were holding them in their bare hands. My legs weakened beneath me, and I tumbled onto my knees. Just what exactly was happening…?

I felt no pain, but the strange contrast in heat and cold in various locations of my body was unnerving, almost like energy, or even life was slowly being sapped from me. My vision grew increasingly blurry until I toppled onto my torso, unable to even mutter a word or make a sound.

Several thuds soon followed my own collapse, and I had to assume that the others were somehow in the same position as I was… weak, feeble, drained…

Just what exactly was happening?