Chapter 1: The Fall

Start from the beginning

I combed out my blonde hair, gelling it over to one side, then went to get dressed. Black suit, white dress shirt, silver tie, black dress shoes. Nothing too fancy, but nice enough for my mother. I didn't know what our dinner was for tonight, but mother had insisted that I looked presentable.

Better than presentable, immaculate really. My mother's word was as close to God's word as I knew, so I obeyed and looked immaculate.

Once I felt like I looked and smelled good, I left my room and headed down stairs.

"Leaving to your parents house Nik?" Conor asked. Conor was primarily the caretaker of my house, but he'd been with us for so long that I preferred to call him family. I had never in my life met a sixty year old as fit as Conor, or as lively as him. I thanked God for him every day.

"You know it, how do I look?" I spun sarcastically- if that's even possible- letting him look me over.

"Like a million bucks Nik. You're sure to please tonight."

"That's the plan. You don't happen to know what tonight is for, do you?"

"Not at all Nik, your parents didn't tell me, but I'd say it's important if they've made it a suit-and-tie event."

"Yes, really strange." I commented. "Well, I'm off." I finished.

"Is the Lamborghini your car of choice tonight?" Conor laughed out.

"Mother said immaculate, let's go for immaculate." I laughed out.

"Such a stupid word." Conor replied, wiping away imaginary tears. I laughed harder.

"Goodnight Conor, see you later."

"Goodnight Nik." He closed the door behind me. I unlocked the car, backed out of my too long driveway, and sped off toward my parents house.

*

If my house was too large- and it really was- then my parents house was ridiculously too large. A Greece inspired, two story mansion with eight rooms upstairs, pleated columns, intricate Greek statues, hell the only thing missing was a freaking statue of Zeus guarding a moat that was home to the Loch Ness monster.

Maybe an exaggeration, but seriously, only two of them lived here.

My mother had wanted an army of children which is why my dad built this place for her when they got married.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. Most newly weds took each other out on a nice vacation, unless of course you're my parents who decide to build houses for fun.

It was supposed to be a family sort of home which explained it's unnecessary size. Unfortunately, moms pregnancy with me didn't go as smoothly as planned.

Her miracle baby is what she called me because I was almost nothing at all.

After the miscarriages before me, the complications with carrying me to term, having me miraculously survive despite being born three months too early and weighing only two pounds, mother decided not to take any more chances. No more heartbreaks for mother, and no army of children to fill her extravagant house.

Surprisingly, she was alright with that. 'More room for guests to entertain my darling son!' She would say. Always so positive.

Yep, I was a total momma's boy, and unless you were a business associate, I didn't give a damn who knew it.

I reached the door, opened it, and let myself in. The inside was modernly decorated, a complete switch from the Grecian styled outside. Black and white everything, splashes of red where they belonged, and patterns everywhere. My father let my mother do basically whatever she wanted with the house. She was his baby, this house was her baby, so he let her do whatever to keep her happy. Not that she wasn't happy regardless, I had never seen two people more in love than my parents. It was quite gross really, but endearing nonetheless.