Chapter Nine: Amelia

"Amelia, pay attention. That was someone about to rip your head off." Says Ara, as she places her weapon down during our spar.

"I know, Ara..."

She sighs. "Let's take a break, we've been going at it for hours now." she says taking a seat on the floor.

As soon as she mentions it, I begin to feel the exhaustion of the workout starting to go through my bones and i am acutely aware of the sweat clinging to my skin as a chill soon creeps through me.

We both take long drinks of water from our pouches and that is the only sound in the room for the moment. The sound of our heartbeats and breaths filling my senses, but if I payed attention closely. I can hear the rest of the pack moving around through the castle, the King and Queen meeting a subject in the throne room. The crunch of snow from the paws of a patrol making their rounds around the territory.

and... Leo and Erik pacing in their rooms.

"So, what's going on? it's unlike you to be distracted like this..." says Ara. "Even though I've only known you for a short while, from the stories i've heard you're a person not so easily distracted by fickle things."

I put down my pouch. "So, you've noticed? I thought I was doing a good job... isn't there anyone who doesn't know?"

"Even that idiot Winston knows, in fact he was the one who brought it to my attention."

I look at her with mock surprise. "You actually let him talk to you?"

She pushes me slightly with an eye roll. "Be quiet..."

I sniker.

"Come on... you have to admit you like him the tiniest bit." i say pinching my index finger and thumb together.

Her face begins to turn as red as the wine they serve at celebrations as she looks away from me her profile now being seen. "What gave you that ridiculous notion?"

I just simply chuckle again and she looks at me with narrowed eyes.

"What about you? You seem to be having issues yourself." she says looking back at me.  "You could practically smell the testosterone between his highness and the Alpha. What was that all about?"

"That was something between the two of them... I don't know what it was." the smile fades from my face. "As for me... can I be honest with you? Please don't tell anyone else."

She seems surprised that I switched to a private mental link just with her, but she nods anyways and scoffs slightly. "Who do you take me for? A pup just learning to stand on their own two legs?"

I smile. "I think I've found my mate..."

Her eyes widen. "Really? When? congratulations!"

"A couple of days ago... and thank you although I don't know if I should be celebrating or crying."

"Oh, Goodness... is it someone unfavorable?"

"No... Nothing like that, it's just complicated... i'll explain when i figure it out myself."

"Alright... I'm here to talk if you need it." she says a little awkwardly.

"Thank you..." and then I look over at her smirking. "Has the Ice Queens heart actually melted?"

"Quiet!" she says her face becoming slightly red.

***

After the morning session with Ara I decide to head to the palace library a place that I used to frequent before I became an Alpha, and a place that I still did visit on occasion afterwards. I push open the large wooden doors and the familiar smell of old books hits my nose along with the scent of the librarian.

"Grandma!" I say quietly, approaching the desk where she usually sat.

But she is nowhere to be seen, and I can't hear or sense anyone else in the room. She has to be here somewhere though, it wasn't like old lady just to leave this place unattended.

And then I feel a sharp tack on my backside. I turn around to find the assailant slightly growling, it had really stung.

"Don't you dare growl at me you little pup, you've still got a long ways to go if you think you can get the upper hand on me."

"Grandma!" I exclaim turning around to face her, she was as stern and gruff as ever, that was one of the things I missed when I left home. she then continues to pull me down my one of my ears none to nicely. "Ow! Why do you keep doing that?"

"It's punishment pup, for your prolonged absence. though this isn't nearly enough for what you did." She says releasing me.

I stand up, rubbing my ear to relieve some of the pain.

"Now what do you need pup. as of right now I know you don't have the time to be here just for pleasure."

I take a breath. "I need to know if there are any books or lore on mates."

Her gaze becomes quizical and then becomes serious as she looks into my eyes. Stone grey meeting my hazel. "Follow me pup, if you're asking for what I think your asking then this may not turn out favorable for you."

"I know."

"Follow me then."

We disappear into the shadows of the library.

***

Later coming from the library did not leave me in any higher spirits about my current situation, not only did I know have this but as well as the watchful eyes of the court and the whole castle.

I fall back against my bed. Why me? why now... I need no more attachments...

I turn my head towards my open window the sunlight making me squint for a moment, I can see the little specks of dust as they floated through the beam of evening sunshine, the sky is a beautiful mix of blues, pinks and purples as the sun settles behind the mountains.

Suddenly my skin gets a crawling feeling across it, my hair stands on its end, and growl emits itself from my chest.

Someone is approaching, some one I'd rather not see.

"Milla, get down here we have to greet the diplomats from the neighboring territory." Says Erik.

"Erik..."

"Yes, whats wrong, Milla?"

"I... never mind it's nothing I'll be right there."

"Okay."

His presence leaves my mind, taking the warmth of his presence with him. I place my head in my hands.

Not yet. But soon, Amelia, soon.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hey there beautiful people! Thanks for tuning in on another chapter! I hope you enjoyed, please leave your comments below if you did! Don't forget to vote, I appreciate it! and as always: Until the next time! ^_^/

The song above is Why? (Instrumental) by Zack Hemsey.

-Flowereader230