Chapter Eight: Erik

The next day after having that talk with Amelia the other day I was a little unsettled and to be honest I think I left myself more confused than her. I didn't know what to do or how to fix it, and something told me that today wasn't going to be any better, it felt like there was a storm on the horizon and I was about to get hit with the brunt force of it.

"Hey, Erik?" says Winston from behind me, in the reflection I can see that he's holding one of the plates I ate off of this morning for dinner.

"Yes, Winston? What is it?"

"Will you see Amelia today?"

There goes the sinking feeling in my stomach.

I finish adjusting my shirt after putting it on and then turn to face him. "Yeah, why? What's wrong?"

"She seemed a little upset when I saw her yesterday and wanted to make sure that she was doing alright,"

My wolf growls, who would dare make her upset? They'll pay!

Down boy. I Remind him, pushing that part of me down where I kept him tightly controlled.

"Oh well I'll be sure to ask her when I see her."

"Oh, no you don't have to do that, I don't want to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong... I'm sure she'll say something if it's really bothering her." he heads to the door. "If there's not anything else you need, I'll go tend to his royal highness."

"That's all, Winston. Thank you."

He disappears into the hall after giving me a little salute.

Dammit what do I have to face today?

***

Later on before we go on patrol I go up to Amelia to indeed see that she does look quite troubled. She wasn't paying as much attention and I could see that she was spacing out during the the listing of how the patrol was going to go.

"Amelia."

No, response from her she just continues looking out towards the forest with a blank gaze.

"Amelia!"

She jumps slightly from where she's standing and turns to face me, I notice that her hazel eyes don't have their usual luster and she has bags under her eyes. "Yes, Alpha, I'm sorry? What's the matter?"

"I could ask the same about you, Winston mentioned that you seemed upset and wanted to know if you were alright."

Sorry, Winston.

Immediately her demeanor changes and I see her face fall and look even more anxious, she bites her lip. A behavior I knew to be of her trying to hide how she was actually feeling. "Millia, don't lie to me, you were my Alpha... I know you, what's wrong?"

She looks at me with surprise. "I-" and then she tenses up, her words cutting off abruptly.

At the same time a familiar scent hits the air.

The Prince.

I turn around in surprise, what was he doing here? The prince never comes to any border patrols with us. He usually goes with another group of people with his father on lessons. But never with us because we could encounter dangers that could be a threat to his majesty, personally I thought that this was complete and utter bull crap. I know that the prince is more than capable then defending himself.

He comes over to us.

"Your Highness... it's unusual to see you here, is there something that I can help you with?"