Chapter 24

Tris and Cody totally fell for Wes' sick act. I don't know the lengths Wes went to in order to pull it off, but there was no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't have to do much. He was just that good an actor. And it was truly by sheer luck that they had gone in separate cars, because Cody had to get to the airport to pick up his brother and Tristan had Physics homework that was very, very overdue.

And as for the phone call that set everyone on edge, including all of my friends who at this point knew too much about the situation and hence, needed to be warned, the caller ID was blocked, and an educated guess would be that it had probably come from a disposable phone or a payphone. The person who called could also have been anyone. The accent was American, and it was definitely a male. That was all we knew.

And that wasn't it. More photos came two days later. This time, however, they weren't delivered in a box. They were delivered, snapped in a rat trap that was neatly sealed in a plastic package.

Yes, it was totally necessary that the photos be sealed up, because they were delivered along with a dead snake. Sherlock wouldn't stop whining and barking when I brought the box in, so the alarm bells immediately began ringing. Wes had uttered some words that would make even a pirate blush, before calling my parents, and then the cops.

After so long, the cops were finally brought in. I was questioned, my parents were questioned, and Wes was questioned. In the end, after a very long day, I was informed that there would be a squad car monitoring our building 24/7, and this entire situation was now an open police case. I didn't know the exact details, but I know that I was now a very high priority "witness" in the unit.

"There will be no arguments, Allison." My father's stance screamed parental authority.

"Dad. There is no need for cops to accompany me to school. I'm pretty damn sure that I'll be safe there."

"Eli, I agree. We already have the squad car outside and Wes is still here. As long as she no longer goes anywhere other than school and home." The look the shot my way dared me to argue with her. "Your friends are allowed to come over. You're not going out."

My shoulders slumped in defeat because I knew that no matter how hard I tried, I wasn't going to win this one. "Fine." I agreed half-heartedly. "Is Brand and Matt's-"

"Yes." Both my parents responded immediately.

"So basically until we-don't-know-when, I'm pretty much on lockdown."

"You got it." My mother's demeanor softened when she saw my expression and she came to sit by me on the sofa, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "Honey, you know why."

"I do. But that doesn't make it any easier." I leaned my head on her shoulder.

"It won't be for very long." My father sat on the coffee table I front of me, leaning his arms on his knees. "As soon as the case against Baker is solid enough, he'll be arrested."

"And how long will that take?" I mumbled.

My parents exchanged glances. "It depends on a lot of things." My mother said slowly.

Before I could say anything else, Wes walked into the room, a frown marring his features. I raised an eyebrow at him and right as my parents turned to see who occupied my attention, his usual easygoing grin was back in place.