Taegi - Your Heart felt good

When Seokjin and the draw of companionship and anime can't quiet Taehyung for a few hours-- When Hoseok and Jimin can't exhaust the vicious energy under Taehyung's skin-- When Taehyung isn't in the mood to listen to Namjoon and he trembles with thoughts-- When Jeongguk's company can't compete with Taehyung's self-deprecation--

When Taehyung becomes too much, Namjoon takes him to Yoongi.

Namjoon steers the younger boy with hands heavy on his shoulders. Taehyung's eyes dart all over, taking everything in and letting nothing out, and he lets Namjoon direct him. That's the most telling. Usually Namjoon is being pulled. Sensory overload, Manager called it, over stimulation. He lets what the company psychologist would call it hang between them. It doesnt matter what people want to classify it. It's Taehyung too in his head and too out of it at once.

Yoongi is a last resort. Namjoon always insists everyone else try to calm Taehyung first. Yoongi rarely takes the time to look after himself, and Namjoon doesn't want to give Yoongi a reason to ignore his limits. But today is a bad day. No one else has measured up. Namjoon thinks it might be a cumulation of Taehyung's feverish eyes and the phone call from home on top of an off day.

Namjoon guides Taehyung all the way to Yoongi's bed. With little prompting, Taehyung sits. Namjoon pats him on the shoulders and ignores Taehyung's little twitches and how he holds his breaths for ten seconds.

"Yoongi," Namjoon calls out.

Yoongi appears quietly. He's brushing his teeth, white foam gathered in the corners of his mouth. His bangs are pinned away from his face in preparation of washing his face and he's already dressed down to his muscle shirt and boxers. Yoongi looks at Taehyung sitting on his bed and nods. He disappears again, presumably to the bathroom to finish getting ready for bed.

Namjoon stays with Taehyung. He'll stay until Yoongi is finished, and then he'll join the rest of the group for a late-late dinner and a movie. It might be three a.m., and everyone should be getting ready for bed, but the coming day was going to be a day off. A lazy day meant for sleeping, hobbies, and friends. If the group wanted to prelude it with a movie night, Namjoon wasn't going to say no.

He feels bad for bringing Taehyung to Yoongi. Both boys should be joining the group in the common room. They should all be eating diet restricted foods and watching action movies, until they passed out.

It's a pity that Yoongi spent the past two days working and not looking after himself. Namjoon doesn't think Yoongi knows many hours of sleep he got except for maybe 'a little.' The older boy was swaying on his feet earlier. In this state of mind, Taehyung would just wind tighter. He would fidget to the point of annoyance or hold so still it scared other members. He would laugh too loudly, speak too quickly or hold his silence like a grenade pin. Like this, there is no middle ground for Taehyung.

Yoongi comes back into the room after a few minutes. His eyes are tired but soft. It's a common misconception that Yoongi is cold. It comes from starting as an underground rapper, Namjoon knows.

Underground-- you always had something to prove to someone. There could be no room for weakness or error. Yoongi learned to be self contained, the same way Namjoon did. To be successful underground, you couldn't need anyone but yourself.

Being in a group with guys groomed by music teachers was disorienting at first. It required a new set of rules. It required an openess Namjoon had to work for. It was hard to care for only yourself to suddenly six other guys. It required physical affection and verbal reassurance.

Yoongi tries. He tries to meet the others at least a third of the way, but with assessing eyes on him, Yoongi falls on old habits. But it doesn't mean Yoongi cares any less. It doesn't mean Yoongi doesn't spoil the maknae line in private (even in the illusion of privacy, Namjoon is so proud). It doesn't mean Yoongi doesn't joke around with Hoseok. It doesn't mean Yoongi won't provide Seokjin with support against the maknae line's mischief.

Namjoon smiles, too wide and too cheerful for the situation, and tells Yoongi, "He's all yours." If he pretends everything is normal, Taehyung and Yoongi can pretend too.

Yoongi nods, accepting the responsibility, and goes to Taehyung's side. Namjoon steps out the room and lingers by the almost closed door.

He wishes he could tell people about Yoongi's accent becoming thicker to wrap Taehyung up in the sounds of home. The way the two Daegu boys exchange words that make Namjoon's eyes cross because they sound similar and alien at once and use slang and phrases no one else in the dorm understands.

He wishes he could tell people about Yoongi pushing Taehyung under the covers of his bed. How Yoongi lets Taehyung be the big spoon and curl around Yoongi as tightly as he can. That Yoongi only makes noises in encouragement until the younger boy is satsfied and then wraps his arms around Taehyung's middle.

He wishes he could tell people how they'll sleep in, dead to the world, until at least two p.m. Yoongi's cheek pressed against Taehyung's chest and leg thrown over the younger boy's. That Taehyung won't move until Yoongi wakes up, serene and half lidded while he waits, the wildness siphoned from his breath.

Namjoon waits until he hears the anxiety attack Taehyung tried stifling rip through his skin like a werewolf, and then Namjoon closes the door with a click. Yoongi can handle it.

Namjoon joins the rest of the group, confident in the knowledge the Daegu line will be fine.