"Deep breaths. Can you count them out with me? 1, 2, 3, 4...in and out...1,2,3,4. You are in a hospital." I listened to her voice, slowly unravelling. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5...in and out...1, 2, 3, 4, 5. My name is Dr. Alison. Can you count all the way to six?"

I found I could and we kept going all the way until eight. It worked like magic and Dr. Alison told me there were three people here, Hazel, herself and Ebo. My breathing was normal, but my body was tense and I still refused to look up.

"What's your name?" Dr. Alison asked, keeping a respectful distance away. It confused me and I sought the answer to her question in my mind. I didn't want to tell them, but I didn't know what they would do if I refused.

"E-Eden." I stammered, keeping my hands around my knees, but raised my head an inch so she could hear me.

"Alright, Eden. We're all friendly here, don't worry, we're not going to hurt you."

I didn't reply. Should I have done?

A soft thump made my head raise in fear to see a pretty teenage girl opposite me. Her legs were crossed, she was on the floor, the same as me, but she was beaming. Her hair was finely braided, and woven elegantly into a twisted crown atop her head. The rest of the box braids fell gently across her shoulders.

I recognised her as the same girl who found me in the forest. From a quick glimpse I could see that the man was too.

"Hey," she said, softly, her warm brown eyes watching me closely, "My name's Hazel."

She waited, presumably so I could reply, but all I could manage was a small nod.

"I'm 16," she continued, "But I'm small, and my cheeks are round, so some people think I'm 12," she rolled her eyes at that, "I live here at the pack with my father," she pointed at the man, Ebo, who stood behind her, "But also my mother and my four brothers. We've all been very safe in this pack and our Alpha takes very good care of us."

I was still cautious of my surroundings, but the longer she talked the less tense my muscles became.

"How old are you?" She asked, curious, "When's your birthday?" Her head was cocked to the side and eyes brows raised in question.

"I, uh," I answered, hesitant,"I'm 18."

I could tell her that much, but I frowned, trying to remember when my birthday was. When the last time the Alpha hissed in my ear that it was the worst day of his life. 2 months ago, maybe the 20th? May? "20th May."

"Hey, awesome! Mine's the 20th June! Exactly a month apart." She sounded genuinely happy to know that, and her smile was wide and encouraging. But yet, I was confused and wanted to  shrink back even further against the wall. I didn't know what these people wanted.

Her father, Ebo, crouched down to my level also, a small frown on his face. He was evidently strong, muscles coiled across his broad shoulders, his t-shirt stressed and muscles rippled under the dark, brown skin exposed.
I eyed him warily, hiding behind my hair. I couldn't fight off any of them.

"You look younger than 18." He observed with concern.

"And my assesments agree,"  The doctor commented. My eyes shot up towards her, finding she looked younger than I thought.

Her blonde hair was drawn back into a pony tail, a white coat shrouded her figure. She had the same concerned look as Ebo in her eyes. They were green, like mine.

"Which pack did you come from?" Ebo asked. I shook my head, clutching my knees to my chest. I couldn't tell them. They'd take me back. My heart sped up again and I fought for breath.