Chapter 12

(Edited 8-10-18)

*DYLANS POV*

I left the house without telling everyone where I was going. I drove for an hour and a half to Falls Creek, while worrying if Amity found her again.

When I reach the sign she had described, I pull over. It's dark out and a bit chilly. There's no one else on the road for miles.

"Maia..Maia..." I spoke through my thoughts.

"Dylan?"

"Come out from the woods. I'm here."

"You are?"

"Yes. Now hurry."

I look around for any signs of movement and finally see a figure emerge from the tree line. Once she sees me she runs into my arms. I hold her out in front of me to check to see of she's okay, and I see multiple cuts and bruises.

"What did they do to you?" I get angry.

"They crashed my car." She tells me and I bring her close to me again. I feel her shoulders shake and I know she's crying.

I direct her back towards my truck and help her inside. The tears don't stop and I want to ask what's wrong. There has to be something else that's bothering her. We start down the highway, and I glance over at her every now and again. She eventually falls asleep in the passenger seat.

She's never leaving my side again.

***

I pull up in front of Maia's house and see the crowd of adults come out.

"What the hell?! Where have you been?" My father yells.

"Saving Maia!" I yell back. I go around to the passenger side and open the door. Maia stirs and her puffy eyes open. She gets out of the car and looks of relief wash over everyone's face.

"Maia!" May wraps her arms around her but Maia immediately pushes her away.

"Don't." Maia snaps.

"Are you okay?" Jeff asks.

"No. Now get the hell away from me." She snaps. I cock my head in confusion.

"That's no way to speak to your family." May tries to sound firm but the words come out soft.

"You are not my family." Maia shoves past them and into the house.

A look of sadness comes over Mays face, and I see her eyes fill with tears and fear. Jeff's face is unreadable.

"What just happened?" I ask in disbelief.

May shakes her head and walks back into the house and the adults disperse, just as confused as I am.

***

*MAIAS POV*

I go upstairs and into my bathroom. My reflection is horrible. I look like I have just been hit by a truck! My hair is a mess, and I have bruises all over my face. My lip is cut open, and I can see a bruise surfacing on my neck. Probably from where that man was strangling me. My wrists are also bruised from the tight handcuffs.

I strip out of my clothes and slowly get in the shower. I ache everywhere. I need a massage. After washing every part of my body, I dress myself in sweats and a tank top. I french braid my hair and lay on my bed.

"Maia?" Jeff whispers, after knocking.

"Come in." I sigh.

I can't avoid them forever.