C H A P T E R 1 1

Começar do início

"Mother." Draco hissed before Narcissa could continue.

"Let her continue," I smirked, enjoying the secrets Narcissa spilled. "I enjoy hearing all the kind things you say behind my back." I sipped my tea and the blond scowled.

"He owled me about how lovely you looked at the Yule Ball," Narcissa rested her hand on top of mine. "I bet you looked absolutely beautiful, Iris."

"Merci," I smiled softly. "I would have been a mess if it were not for you, Mrs. Malfoy."

"Narcissa." She corrected, returning the smile.

❁ ❁ ❁

Word spread quickly in the Wizarding world. Bellatrix cackled as she danced around the parlor, claiming that Voldemort allowed Lucius out of Azkaban. Narcissa spent the day ordering servants to clean the manor so it would be sparkling for the man's return. I paced around my room all day as Étoile meowed and purred. She could sense my nervousness. I hadn't seen the man since the Battle of the Department of Mystery. Mon dieu, the man is going to kill me. The grandfather clock stroke midnight, yet I still paced in my room. I owled Mrs. Weasley earlier that day, asking if there was any possibility she could send Fred and George to kidnap me. I received two letters back, one from Molly and the other from the twins. Mrs. Weasley wished me well and promised that the moment Mr. Weasley could find a way to contact Celia or convince the Ministry to make an acceptation to my living situation that she would have me out of the manor in an instant. Fred and George, however, told me to give them a time and place. They'd bring the flying car and have me out of the manor in an instant. Honestly, those boys are mad. I grinned as I read their letter. Upon reviewing the letters, I suddenly realized I had not spoken to Celia in some time. I did not know where she was or why she had not bothered to contact me. I never received and explanation for why she could not keep me under her roof any longer.

Why did she send me away?

What did she say in all those letters she exchanged with Lucius?

I quietly left my room, promising myself I would get a glass of water and then immediately go straight to bed. I turned on the faucet and filled my glass, gulping the water down before placing the glass in the sink.

"You're up late," I turn to see Draco. "My father will be returning soon. Shouldn't you get some sleep?"

"Ha," I sighed. "I haven't been getting much of that lately."

"Neither have I." He sighed, too.

"Do you ever have nightmares, Draco? About him?" I titled my head slightly as I watched the boy's eyes flicker.

"The Dark Lord? All the time," He frowned. "Do you?"

"All the time," I replied with a faint smile, though it was nothing to smile about. "I'm scared, Draco. I feel silly telling you, but there really isn't anyone else to tell."

"I am, too," He whispered. "You're all I've got. No one else understands how difficult it is to be so closely associated with the Dark Lord."

"Crabbe? Goyle?"I knew his friends' parents were Death Eaters.

"But they're okay with their parents' loyalty," I watched as tears filled his grey eyes. "I know my parents secretly want out, but it's too late, and we dragged you into a mess you could have escaped." I almost felt bad for the boy, really. I never would have dreamed I would see him like that--at his most vulnerable. I never expected such a soft side from the boy who used to tease my friends and me so harshly. He grew up with such strict and cruel ideas, so perhaps this was the side he was never allowed to show.