Dr. Winchester and Heather

Start from the beginning

"Ugh, I think I'm going to be sick again," Liam moans clutching at his stomach. Heather quickly grabs a basin for him to throw up in. As soon as it is in front of him he starts throwing up. I rub his back and help support him as he gets sick. He looks like he might just fall back into the pillows if there was just a light breeze in here.

When he is finished I lower him back into his pillows. He turns over onto his side being cautious of the IV in his arm. His hands are on his stomach rubbing it from the pain tears streaming down his cheeks. I sit down beside him on the bed to massage his shoulders and back in hopes of it helping even a little for at the moment there is nothing I can do for him but make him comfortable and this makes me anxious. I hate not being able to help my Liam when he is hurting. 

Louis and Harry join us not long later with the baby monitor in hand. Louis sits in the chair near the bed and Harry kneels down beside Liam's head. He gives him a smile reaching up and touching his cheek gently wiping away his tears.

"Well it does seem stress is a factor as well as the Carrier Flu he had when he was pregnant with Elisa. You see the thing about the Carrier Flu is it can have lasting effects that will linger for months and sometimes years. One of those effects is making the annually two year transition more painful. The stress made it come quicker so all around you got pretty screwed this time, Liam," Dr. Winchester tells us taking everything that has Liam's blood on it and rinsing it in the sink. Anything that is left over is dumped as well. 

"Okay, is there anything you can do for him?" Louis asks speaking the question we're all wondering.

"I can make him comfortable and treat the symptoms. There unfortunately is nothing else, at least not yet. You have to remember Carrier health is still a learning science. If he had been at my office when he had the flu I could have given him a medication that will help him with keeping the longer effects of the Carrier flu away, but unfortunately he was not here and under the care of Dr. Ada. She is smart and I am not saying she is a bad doctor, she just didn't have the knowledge. She left before Dr. Betts got into our research of the Carrier Flu. I'm going to give him some medication that will help his system rid itself of the flu, along with some light pain medication to deal with the cramps and some medication that will help with the nausea and other belly problems. For the next couple of weeks we're going to have to keep an eye on him. I will also let Julius know that he will not be able to do any healings or give any blood for some time," Dr. Winchester explains rising to his feet to dig through his cabinets once again.

"What is the transition? I mean what does it do?" Harry asks curiously.

"It's like a spring cleaning. It sort of cleanses the body, cleans out the stuff it doesn't need. The cramps are from his uterus kind of cleaning itself out. The diarrhea and vomiting is his body trying to get rid of things it feels it doesn't need. The Carrier body is very interesting and complex. It's almost like the Carrier part of his brain subconsciously does all these things. It's extremely fascinating. It's one of the reasons so many medical professionals are so interested. They're so different and so little is known. Some theorize they have a whole new anatomy from people that are not gifted with what they have," Dr. Winchester explains as he sorts out medications into a pill box with the days of the weeks listed with the AM and PM slots.

"What got you interested in this branch of science?" I ask curious and hoping to get more information.

" I was wondering when you were going to ask. I got interested in it because I had an Amara. One of my parents was a Carrier and then my little brother was one as well. It was awful when they would go through their transitions and there was nobody there to help them through it. Nobody back in that day knew how to help them. My Amara was very much so owned by father, my father would have my Amara wear chains and never allow him from the house unless on a leach. It was awful. My Amara though was so caring to my siblings and I he was always sure that we had our favorite meals to take to lunch, he would sing us to sleep and hold us when we cried. One day when he told my father he did not want to carry another child for he was getting older and it was getting harder on his body. My father got furious, said he was useless to him now and beat him to death. When my brother turned 20 and began the painful beginning transition he came to me in a panic. He was terrified of living through what my Amara had. So I did what I thought was best I took him to a specialist, the Donum. When they had found I was a doctor they agreed on taking my brother in, but under the condition I worked for them. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Dr. Betts took my brother and did awful things to him. Such horrible experiments. When my brother died from one of these experiments I could never get over the guilt. I made Julius swear to keep me from working with his little mad scientist again and he agreed telling me he had a new assignment for me anyway. His Star Carrier. I became Alexander's doctor and I like to think friend. I was the first person to ever drink some of his blood. I had apologized to him over and over again hating that I even had to take it. He just gave me a smile and assured me it was okay. Then when the prospect of a Diamond Carrier came up back in the 1950's Alex made me swear to make sure he did not live the life that Alex has. I swore on my life and worked everything out with Julius. Our Diamond Carrier when he came would be treated like Royalty and his family would as well. We would never rip away his family, not a child or lover. We would never force him to bare people's children or have sex with strangers. I even made sure it was all put into legal documents that Julius would never cross those terms," Dr. Winchester says making my jaw drop.