Episode 24: A Guide to Middle School

EPISODE 24: A Guide to Middle School

    October 19th 2009, Learning new hobbies

    A month after all the complications, things had finally settled down. Though all the problems had gone, my life was getting boring. The problems were keeping my life interesting and exiting but they had all gone and now my life was dull and grey. I seemed like an unpainted canvas. I had a lot of potential but it was never exploited. I thought a lot of what I could do to spice up my life. There seemed to be nothing. I flung my body up from my bed and went to sit on my desk and pulled out my Harry Potter book. I kept on reading for what seemed like half an hour but really it was three hours. Then something clicked in my brain. I thought to myself why writers are noted as ‘geniuses’ and ‘brilliant’ minds when I believed that I could do the same, if not better than all the top authors. I quickly ran into my house’s storage room and pulled out a red notepad with a picture of a motorbike on the front. I got back into my room in no time and flipped it open at my desk. I stared at the blank piece of paper and my mind went blank as I lost concentration. Then my mind oozed into sleep…

    I don’t remember that dream but I do remember that that dream got me to start writing a dream diary. The dream diary was supposed to get me to write whatever I dream about and be able to remember the silly/good/awkward dreams I would have. I woke up and day was turning into night. I stood, looking through the blinds of my window, at the horizon as the sun was setting. My mind focused back into what I was thinking before I fell asleep. Writing a story. I sat back on the desk a few minutes later after having a red bull. I remember my thoughts coming in like this as I wrote in the notebook.

‘So what is it gonna be about?’ I asked myself. My mind went whirling in all the possibilities I could write about. My mind settled on one thing. Writing a guide on how to ‘survive’ middle school by using my own experiences. ‘But what would separate my story from other stories like it? Like ‘Diary of a wimpy kid’?’ I asked myself. Then my mind reached a solution and I quickly scribbled down the answer. I would make it truthful, not hiding my inner thoughts. ‘So where to start? I quizzed myself. Then I quickly thought of a great place to start: ‘Martin Luther had a dream. I have a dream, to become the best programmer in the world! For a computer geek, all we do all day is daydream and program, is that all were good for...’ I began. It was very innovative of me but I quickly stopped and placed the book aside. ‘Can I really write a whole story?’ I asked again. It seemed too much at the time. I wasn’t someone who gets ‘determinated’. I decided that it’d be best if I just wrote what I could everyday and carry on as hard as I could. Until the project was complete. I sat there writing my first, what I started to call, ‘episode’ for my story. After completion of my first episode, I read it over and over again checking if I had done a good job. I was quite proud of my first piece of work. I took the notepad and placed it in a big brown box underneath my four-poster bed.

My mind whizzed and whizzed later that night on my bed. I thought about how people would take it and/or if they would criticize it. ‘I’m doing this for myself. Not them.’ I told myself as I laid on my bed. My mind wondered off into wild thoughts. I thought about a lot of ‘What if’s later that night. ‘What if I get this published? What if people actually do like the story? What if no one likes it?’ Those thoughts took me to sleep and I woke up early and refreshed the next morning.

October 20th 2009, The Make Up.

I woke up early that morning refreshed. My mind was clear and I was able to shower and brush my teeth without falling asleep. After I got dressed in my school uniform, I checked my inbox on facebook and I had received a message from Angelina from the previous night that said: ‘I gues nw ur gne! Wel gdnyt. Lov u’. I smilled at her message and closed my laptop before heading off to my car. The dark scenery turned into a colourful scenery by the time I reached my school.

Tuesdays at school were boring. Though I had Angelina to make my Tuesdays better. I was sitting down with Angelina at the front of the classroom talking in the French lesson. We were reminiscing about things that had happened and we were laughing about making a small racket. We were surprised when we heard a loud cackle from the back of the class. I turned my head around to see Ahmar’s face buried in her hands as she laughed. To my surprise, Mustafa was sitting right next to her and he was chuckling. Angelina and I exchanged awkward looks but I could tell that in her mind she was thinking about the same thing as me and that was the surprise that Ahmar and Mustafa were getting along again. They seemed to be syncing. I returned to the conversation I had with Angelina but it was quickly interrupted with an even louder cackle from Ahmar. This time, Mr. James took notice of it.

‘Hey, you over there. Don’t you know the meaning of silence?’ he asked. I wasn’t sure if that was a rhetorical question or if he wanted them to answer because he kept silent as if he was waiting for their answer. Ahmar’s laugh came bursting out even louder and Mustafa’s chuckle became more pronounced.

‘Both of you stand up!’ He yelled. They both stood up at such a slow speed. They both were twitching but it wasn’t because of fear, it was because they were both holding in a laugh.

‘Follow the door.’ Mr. James said. It was his way of kicking you out of the class. Ahmar and Mustafa made their way out of the class with smiles on their face and as they passed our table, Ahmar placed a note on our desk. Angelina was quick to open it and read it before a smirk grew across her face.

‘What?’ I asked her and she gave me the paper to read for myself. It read:

I think I lyk Mussy again.’ A smirk grew across my face aswell. After all the cheating that happened in year seven, they were back on track with their relationship. It seemed sort of silly to me. It was a one in a million type of thing. Though, it got me thinking that it would be good material to write in my story.

    That day kind of ended with me happy. I wrote another episode of my story in my notepad and my friend was on track with his relationship with Ahmar. It got me thinking that maybe something’s were destined to happen. Were Angelina and me just meant to be together? Or was it all by luck? It was hard to say. Though the relationship was pretty perfect so it seemed almost impossible that it was by chance. Well that’s what I thought at the time but things are not always what they seem.