Episode 33: Form One Finale

         July 2nd 2011, The end of the school year… The end of us.

         I would have never thought that my day would end in tears after the way it began. Though I always knew that one of my nightmares would come true, I was never expecting it when it hit me.

         I woke up feeling nervous for the last day of school. Even though the euphoria was building up in my body, I still was nervous for some reason that wasn’t clear to me.  I had a long shower and changed into a pair of denim jeans, a black shirt to compliment a white jacket. I had a good breakfast before I set off to school. It was a nice sunny day that day and it seemed that nothing could put a dent in my day. As usual, I sat at the back of the class and waited for my friends to arrive while busting some music on my iPod. They filled in one by one in the regular pattern and it seemed an average day. There was a football competition but I felt too tired to play so I watched my friends kick the ball about while I sat at the benches, next to the basketball court.

‘Hey, can’t wait for prom!’ Angelina said as she approached me. I couldn’t deny her prom for another year so I decided to go with her. It seemed a nice affair so I thought: ‘I might as well go.’ Our class got heavily thrashed by the form three students that people still debate that the scores were either 8-3 or 9-2.

There was something about that day that kept me euphoric. The atmosphere was nice and I couldn’t help but keep a smile stretching across my face. It all seemed like it was heading in a good direction and there was the feeling that something good was destined to happen.

After the competition was concluded, we had a school meal (Chips and Chicken) and were sat down for the end of school year assembly.

‘We have finally come to the end of the school year. And my it has been a year full of drama!’ announced Mrs. Huxtable.

‘For all of you who did well and achieved we congratulate you. And for all who tried their best we applaud you.

We understand that this school year has been tough and many of you have stepped us and showed us that you are hardworking students and that’s why you deserve the grades that you got.

As many of you know, our school has decided to open a new campus in Mbweni and the first people to study there will be the form three’s up to the form six’s. You are pioneers and we thank you.’

The students, especially the older students, applauded and cheered.

‘Now, there have been some students who have performed exceptionally well and we must, as we do every year, give them a award…’

I don’t remember exactly who got the awards but I’m sure I got an award for high achievement in Geography and English.

‘Thank you Mr. James. Since we’ve concluded our ceremony, it’s about time I let you go run off home. But let me leave you with a few more words… Even if you haven’t performed well this year, there’s always room for improvement for next year. Study hard! It will help you all. Next year, the form ones will be sitting for their Cambridge Checkpoint Examinations and I wish them luck. Even in the darkest of moments, a smart person can see the light in at the end of the tunnel but only a great person can make his own light. Have a nice day and see you in August!’ She said. The students burst into applaud and cheering and a huge crowd started to escape from the benches (that’s where we had the assembly) and approached their expecting cars. I looked for Angelina and hugged her and gave her a strong kiss on the lips.

‘I can’t wait for the prom.’ I said. She smilled and a tear ran down her left eye to her chin.

‘Me too… Levi, whatever happens I want you to know that I love you.’ She replied. I kissed her on the lips again.