Chapter Twelve

I pause, just for a moment. Outside the study. I hear voices. I know I do. Well did. I did hear voices. I don't hear them anymore. Slowly I open the study door. No ones there. Weird. I walk into the dimly lit room and look around. The thing that catches my eye is the grandfather clock. I live the old vintage detail. I walk closer to take a look at all the little details. It's so pretty.  I the. Notice the time. That's not right. It can't be that late already. Well if it is, then I better head upstairs to bed. I walk out of the study and up the stairs then into my room. I look at the clock. It's only ten. Ok, that is so weird. Maybe that clocks broken? It has to be.

        I lay in bed thinking about the voices I heard. They sounded like Bruce's and Damian's. And maybe Alfred too. But why would I hear their voices coming from the study when they weren't even in there? Am I going crazy? What next? My parents voices? I need to know. I sigh and get up out of bed. I walk over to the balcony door and open them. I step outside into the cool night. I need to clear my head. Of all of this. I don't like that I can't talk to people. It hurts that people don't understand why I won't talk. I take a deep breath. Why did I have to live and my family had to leave me? It hurts. Knowing that I'm the only one left.

        I want to understand my dreams. My dreams I have been having for a month now. What or who is the LOA? I would like answers to these questions. All of these questions. But I don't think I'll ever find an answer. I sigh and head back to bed. I have a long day tomorrow. Tomorrow is the day I start Gotham Academy.

****

        I wake up to sunshine in my face. I groan and roll over and try to pull the covers up over my head and then I try to fall back asleep. But I can't. Because suddenly and alarm goes off. It scares me a little; I jump and end up falling onto the hard-wood floor with a thud. I groan, again, and just lay there in a heap of blankets. What is that noise? I ask myself. I look up and over to see my alarm clock going off. Oh, right. I reach over and shut the annoying thing off. I sigh and pick myself up off the floor. Todays my first day at Gotham Academy. What to wear to school...I walk over to my closet and pull open the doors. I look for an outfit until I see a crisp uniform in the far corner. I grab it and lay it in the chair just outside of my bathroom door. I walk into the bathroom and start the shower. I step in after undressing and let the water just run over me. Then I go to work to get clean. Once clean I step out and dry myself off. I pull my hair up into a very messy bun and step out of the bathroom. I grab my uniform and change into it. Once I am happy with the way I look I take my hair down just to pull it back up into a nice ponytail. I smile at my reflection and head downstairs. I hear voices in the dining room, so I make my way there. I push open the large wooden door and enter the dining room. There sitting at the table is Damian, Dick, Tim, and for a change Bruce. Well not really a change for me but what I've heard it's very rare for him to show up to eat with all of them...I mean us. That is going to need some working on, I mean saying us. I am not used to being around people again, so I wonder why they are sending me to school at all. I sigh, then take my seat at the table in between Damian and Dick. Bruce smiles at me.

"Are you ready for your first day at school?" he asks.

I shake my head yes, even though I am not. I am not ready to be around people again. Soon Alfred bring my plate out filled with pancakes and fruit. I like fruit. A lot. I watch Damian eye up some of my strawberries so I put one on my fork and offer it to him.

He shakes his head no. "No thanks."

I frown. I thought he wanted one. Out of the corner of my eye I see Tim nudge Damian. He glares at Tim but then turns to me. I act as if I hadn't seen anything.

"Can I try one of thos strawberries Bella?" he asks.

I smile and put one on my fork and hand it to him.

He mumbles a thanks and eats it. The rest of breakfast went by with me listening to everyone's conversations and them all half ignoring me. But that's okay, I'm used to it. I finish my breakfast before anyone else so I just sit there not really sure what to do. Bruce looks over at me. I smile back.

"Arabella I will be taking you to school this morning." Bruce says.

Damian looks over. "How come?"

"I need to sign a few more papers and make sure that she gets settled." Bruce frowns at his son.

I am guessing the reason that Bruce is growing at Damina is because asked why. Is he jealous of me? If anything I should be jealous of him. He has this amazing family that loves him, sure they all have weird and different ways of showing it. But they still all love each other. Unlike me. I have no family and I can't remember anything. Okay, I take that last part back. I do remember things, just not a lot. Who knows I may have family but I can't remember them. I let out a sigh. After a while Bruce gets up from the table.

"Arabella are you ready?" He asks.

All I can do is nod. I am a little scared because I haven't been around peoe in months. And I'm not comfortable talking to peoe yet. I don't even really talk to Bruce or Alfred or any of the boys. It's sad actually, but that's how I've become. A broken person.