Chapter 8: Dinner With Nancy

MELS' POV

Drew and I were at the beach for like another hour just hanging out and then we went to grab some yogurt. We grabbed our normal seat and slid into the booth.

"Hold up Mel, Imans' calling." he said picking up his phone. I pulled mine out as we waited and checked my mentions on Twitter.

*@AshBenzo: Can I be @MelloMel now? She's like beyond perf!* I smiled and tweeted back. *@MelloMel: @AshBenzo I'm perf? Your freaking gorgeous!* then I favorited some other stuff and got off. Drew was still on the phone so I scrolled through my contacts and stared at my moms number. I hesitated before I hit the Call button.

*Phone Convo*

"Hello?" she answered

"Nancy." I said into the receiver

"Melanie. How are you darling?" she asked

"Uh, fine. I did some thinking and I wanted to know if you wanted to uh- go to dinner." I said fast.

"Oh, I'd love to. When?" she responded

"Tonight. 8 o'clock at Amillios?" I stated.

"Perfect. I'll see you then." I finished pressing the end button.

*End of Convo*

I looked up and seen Drew smiling at me.

"What!" I shouted jokingly

"Was that Nancy?" he asked through his teeth.

"Yea? Why?" I stated

"Someone's becoming a softy. Your really having dinner with her?" He questioned

"Yea. I'm really nervous though." I told him truthfully

"Don't be. It'll go good. Or bad .. depending on your attitude." he retorted before sticking a spoon full of yogurt in his mouth.

"Oh, thanks for the encouraging words Drew. You're such a doll." I said sticking my tounge out.

*Later that night*

"Are you sure this looks okay? I don't look over dressed? I dont want her to think I look nice because it's her." I asked so fast I didnt even think Wesley understood what I said.

"Babe." he whispered coming up behind me, wrapping his hands around my waist and laying his head on my shoulder as we both looked in the full length mirror. "You look beautiful as always. Calm down and relax. Everything will go great, okay?"

"Yea. You're right. Calm down. Relax." I said out loud and turned around in Wes' arms and looking up at him.

"What?" he smiled

"Nothing. I wish you could come with me." I pouted

"I'll come the next time. This is you and your moms time to talk. If anything goes down all you have to do is call me and I'll come down there." he told me reassuringly.

"Alright. I love you." I said

"I love you too." he responded before kissing me and letting me go. I grabbed my bag, cellphone and checked my outfit again in the mirror.

I left out the door got in my car and drove off. While I was at a stop sign, I checked the time. 8:00. I pressed my foot against the gas pedal as soon as the light turned green and within two minutes I was at Amillios. I got out the car locking the doors and walked up to the restaurant. I could see my mom through the window. She had a glow to her and the mint color Maxi dress she was wearing and how her hair flowed down across her face looked like she's never had a ounce of drugs in her. I took a deep breathe and walked inside.

"Hi." I muffled looking down at her.

She gasped as she looked at me. "Oh Melanie. You look so beautiful." she told me getting up to hug me and I just stood there just like I did before.

"Thanks." I responded and we both took our seats. We sat in silence for awhile. Strangely, it wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be but silence still floated in the air between us.

"So," I said scratching the back of my neck. "How long have you been in California?"

"I've been here for about 2 years." she told me

"And you're just now coming to see me?" I asked

"Yea. I didn't know if it was a good idea or not." she said with a sad look.

"Oh." is all I managed to get out.

"So how do you like FIDM and living out here? How's your job at Dior going?" she asked and my head shot up. How did she know I went to FIDM & had a job?

"How'd you know I went to FIDM and worked at Dior?" I asked staring at her dead on.

"How do you think the Dean knew about you?" she asked smiling.

"He said it was because of my grades.." I said trailing off thinking about the meeting. He said I was one of the lucky ones and my grades aren't the only thing that got me in. "Yo-you? You were the other part of me getting into the school?" I asked swallowing hard.

" I mean I'm not the main reason because your grades and your determination played a bigger role but I did help a tad." she said putting her hand up as she made the gesture of 'a tad' with her pointer finger.