Chapter 6: The Ride

Rylee's POV:

The ride from the airport was a long one, but there was no lack of scenery. Once we got to his house I knew it was worth it. It's beautiful. Everything about it just seems to fit except one thing there is a man in the distance on a horse who could that be?

I turn to Toby, "Who's that?" I ask him pointing to the man.

"That's Sam. He tends to the animals. He is very good at what he does. I'd like you to meet him. Stay here." He says and walks a few yards out and yells for Sam to come join us. When he is about thirty yards away I can get a clear look at him and once he meets my eyes it's like everything around us stops. There is no one else in the world except for us at that moment.

Sam is tall, but not quite as stocky as Toby. He is very tan from working in the field all day. His blond hair falls perfectly and even in his jeans and t-shirt he looks like he walked out of a magazine. Every part of him is perfect. His nose slopes just the right way, and his lips are shaped to perfection. It's only when I blink I realize Sam has asked me a question.

I shake my head, "I'm sorry I must have zoned out, can you repeat the question." I say sheepishly.

Sam smiles at me exposing his perfect teeth causeing me to loose focus, but I snap out of it in time for him to speak.

"I asked what your name is darlin'." He says in the most adorable country accent I have ever heard.

"It's Rylee." I tell him extending my hand for him to shake, but he surprises me by taking it and pulling it to his lips.

Where his lips touched it was like a fire had started and it rushed up to my cheeks and all the way down to my feet filling me with warmth. " It's very nice to meet yah ma'am. I hope I'll be seeing you around here for a while longer." He says releasing my hand and starting to walk away.

I look at Toby whose face is a mix of anger and confusion. That look almost drowns out my curiosity, but not quite. "Sam" I call loud enough for him to hear.

"Yes Miss Rylee?" He asks turning back around to face me.

"Would you mind telling me where you are from?" I ask worried I might offend him.

"Not at all Miss. I'm from Texas. Born and raised on my dads farm. This is what I do best." He says gesturing at the pasture.

"Thanks for that lovely story Sam, now Rylee and I need to go get settled in. Will you saddle up my two favorite horses for later? I'd like to take Rylee horseback riding." Toby says smiling at me.

***

After a few hours Toby has to leave for a meeting which he promises will be over by 7:00 so he can take me riding. Well 7:00 has come and gone and its starting to get dark. I'm just sitting there like a loser staring off into the night waiting for headlights to come down the drive. I think thats why the knock on the soor scared me so much.

"Who is it?" I call to the back door where the sound came from.

"It's Sam ma'am." I hear him say in his deep southern accent.

I can't help but smile at his voice. I know it's wrong for me to think this way, but I haven't been with Toby for more than a day. I open the door to find Sam smiling down at me leaning against the door frame. He has mud on his boots and his shirt is plastered to him because of sweat. His hair is slicked down because of how wet it is, and his face is red from exertion.

"What have you been doing that's such hard work?" I ask taking a step back so he can enter the house.

"Well I got the two horses saddled up and then they took off in different directions and I had to chase them down and bring them back to the barn and make sure they were tied good. I have to say I was expecting y'all to be waiting on me to come get yah so you could ride, but I guess Mr. Toby aint back yet." He tells me shrugging at the end