Chapter Twenty-Five: Zacky

I closed the door behind Brian and I, staying as quiet as possible while we crept up the stairs. Apparently we weren't quiet enough, because my mom stopped us.

"Who's this, Zack?" She asked, glancing at Brian. For once she didn't seem completely hammered.

"Uh, this is my friend, Brian." I cautiously introduced.

She looked back at Brian, "What's your last name?"

"Haner." He answered, giving her a small smile.

She didn't smile back, "Suzy is your mom?"

"Stepmom." He corrected.

She quietly mumbled something to herself, leaving the room.

I let out a small sigh of relief, and led Brian up the stairs, to my room.

"I'm sorry about that." I whispered, closing the door.

"Hey," He kissed my cheek, "It's fine. Don't worry about it."

He gently pushed me against the door, moving to my lips. His mouth parted open slightly, and he trailed his tongue along my lower lip.

"Zachary! Come here a minute!" My mom called from downstairs.

I groaned, and Brian stepped away. As I opened the door, I felt him touch my shoulder.

"Do you need me to come with you?" He asked.

I shook my head and told him I would be fine, leaving my room and meeting my mother at the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah?"

"That Brian boy," she paused, "He's your boyfriend, isn't he?"

My heart felt as if it had stopped. I held my breath, not saying a word.

She shook her head, disgusted, "Get the fuck out of my house!"

I flinched as she lifted her arm, thinking that she was going to hit me. Instead she just pointed to the door. At first I stayed frozen, then I turned, bolting back up the stairs. I ran through my door, grabbing Brian's hand.

"We gotta go." I whispered.

"Wh-" I interrupted Brian by pulling him down the stairs, and out the front door. My mother watched us the entire time.

We ran for about a block before slowing to a walk.

"What the hell, Zee?" Brian stopped walked, turning me so that I faced him.

I felt tears stinging at my eyes, "She knows." I murmured, turning away from my boyfriend.

He let out a harsh sigh, and I continued.

"She told me to get out of the house. She's gonna tell my dad, Bri. I can't go back there."

The older boy embraced me with a hug, kissing my head.

"You can stay at my house for a while."

I stayed silent, and he took my hand again, leading me to his house.

~*~

I wiped my tears away with the back of my hand before we stepped through the door. We immediately went to Brian's room, and he locked the door. Then he turned the light off, and stumbled towards me in the dark. I sat on his bed, and soon he was right by my side.

"Everything is gonna be fine." He cooed, kissing me.

I laid down, pulling him next to me. Eventually my thoughts took over.

How did she know that Brian is my boyfriend? I mean, she knew I had a boyfriend. So, I suppose she just figured that it was Brian.

I placed a kiss on Bri's cheek, then drifted to sleep not long after.