Chapter Ten: Zacky

I swear I felt Brian's lips curl into a smile as I sat above him. I repeated the words, even softer this time.

"I think I love you..." I peeked my eyes open briefly to catch a glimpse of his reaction. His eyes were open. Startled, I sat up straight, wondering if I had said or done something wrong.

Did I just screw everything up? I asked myself, studying the older boy's expression.

His face was calm, yet through his eyes I could read the excitement. Slowly, Brian reached his hand upward, gently touching my cheek.

"I think I love you too, Zacky." I could almost taste his words on my tongue as we plunged into yet another passionate kiss.

Eventually, I climbed off of Brian, sitting beside him on the couch. I laid my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes as he kissed my temple. I smiled, but stayed silent. It was peaceful, and I liked it that way.

After a while I heard Brian sigh, "I'm sorry..." His voice trailed off for a moment and he cleared his throat. "You don't deserve to be treated the way you are." I felt his arms wrap around me. Lifting my head, I looked into his eyes.

"W-what do you mean?" I asked, slightly incredulous.

"It's just-" Brian sighed again, "Those assholes treat you horribly because of your sexuality. I mean, I don't get it, you don't judge them for being straight."

This time, I was the one to sigh, "They just don't think about it that way, I guess."

All comfort I previously had while in the older boy's arms had vanished. I didn't like talking about this.

"Maybe we should clean up the kitchen." I blurted out, in an effort to change the subject.

"In a minute..." Brian's voice trailed off and I looked up to see his eyes had closed. I placed my head back onto his shoulder, smiling to myself.

~*~

I must have fallen asleep, because Brian was gone when I opened my eyes again. I blinked, looking around the room for my boyfriend.

"Brian?" I called out, waiting for a response.

I crept into the kitchen to find that it had been cleaned, but there was still no sign of Brian. The clock read 2:36 P.M, and the sun shined brightly through the windows. As I began to approach the back door, Brian stepped in, closing it behind him.

"No, no." He gently grabbed my shoulders and turned me away from the door, "I have a surprise for later." He kissed my cheek, smiling.

"Okay?" I chuckled, returning to the kitchen.

Brian set me on the counter top, and a lot of kissing occured. Then, with realization, I noticed it was almost 3:00.

"Shit," I whispered, "I'm really supposed to be home."

I watched as my boyfriend frowned, "But... Then you can't see the surprise?" Brian asked.

"I-I can... Maybe see if I can stay longer. But- we're supposed to be going out of town for a while. Dammit." I said under my breath, "I forgot all about that."

Still frowning, Brian just let out a small, "Oh."

"I'm sorry, Bri." I kissed his cheek, softly. "Let me just check with them. I mean, I'm old enough, they should let me stay home while they're not in town, right?" He just responded with a quick nod.

Except, hopefully I'll be spending the time at Brian's house.

I stepped outside momentarily, calling my mom. I wouldn't dare call Dad. After he found out I was gay, he never truly accepted me again. He only spoke to me when he was forced.

~*~

After a lot of convincing, I was able to enter the Haner's home, smiling excitedly and nodding my head to Brian.

He enthusiastically embraced me with a hug, and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"How long will they be gone?" Brian asked, slightly raising an eyebrow. It was so cute when he did that, and I couldn't keep from smiling again.

"Only a day or two, they're just going to a concert. No one I'm interested in though."

Brian nodded his head, "So, what do you want to do until your surprise?"

I shrugged in response.

"Let's make lunch." He said, and I followed him towards the cabinets.

~*~

We made grilled cheese, but burned all of it. Although the taste was awful, it didn't matter to us. After we had eaten, it was almost 4:00.

"When do I get to see my surprise?" I asked Brian, taking a drink.

"Soon." He winked at me, pulling me towards him for a tender kiss.