The Greenbean >> Newt X Reader

Title: Greenbean

Paring: Pre TMR!Newt X Reader

Warnings: this has a lot of fluff, a lot of snuggles, no Tommy (sorry Thomas fans, this is before he came!), lotsa love and Newt.

Spoilers: I won't hint to anything that happens. So, no. No spoilers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

To say it all began when you arrived would be an overestimation of the fear of young boys trapped inside a maze. It was early, and the pattern for genders appearing for them hadn't been made. You weren't a hallmark moment for the leader, Alby, and you weren't a burden for your newly made friends and the Glade itself.

Although you thought yourself to not be a hallmark occasion, it would seem that a kind, blond, English-lilting young boy your age would believe so.

He even amended the common nickname for newcomers for you; and thusly, even after you remembered your name ( ________ ), he still called you it.

"Can't sleep, Greenbean?"

If you could attribute three skills to yourself; your first skill would be to your ability to do your job quicker than any other Glade-dweller. Two would be the ability to sleep while in the proximity of such a specimen of a human being lay with his powdery yellow hammock-hair nearby. And three would be able to turn gracefully in your hammock.

But none of these skills applied to you.

"Newt?" You whispered.

"Yeah, Greenbean?" He murmured. "Want to share my hammock?"

You felt a ripe blush roar over your cheeks. "I'm - not sure," you hissed through your teeth. "I still won't be able to sleep."

You heard Newt's chuckle. "Why?"

Did you have to reply? You thought it was obvious. "Because then I'd staying awake with your heartbeat, you nong." You squeeze your eyes. Nong? What kind of word was that? "Not that I'm -,"

You felt your hammock twist and sway slightly, and then in the moon's light, Newt's silhouette was peering in to see you.

"Nong?" He questions. "Shove over. We're going to snuggle, Greenbean."

Nights passed like this for week, and then months. Days were filled with side glances and cheesy smiles and the other boys seeing a connection between the two of you that you were sure Newt couldn't find.

"Why're you always called Greenbean for 'im?" Winton wondered.

You crinkled your nose in thought. "I'm not sure," you reply. "He's just into calling me that. It's not demeaning or anything," you add quickly.

Winston agrees. "Yeah, it's like a nickname for you. Tell you, if I was being called 'Greenie' or 'Greenbean' all the time, I'd get sick of it." He confides.

You shake your head. "I like it. It's cute from Newt."

Zart darted inside, catching the last of what you were saying. "Hey, that rhymes!" He laughed. "So, ______, when are you and Newt gonna hook up? Every damn time either of you comes to my end of the Glade, I swear, I could take one of Frypan's knives and cut the tension -,"

You laugh. "I'm sure I'm the only one feeling that way, Zart." Winston gives you a glance. "I mean, he hasn't really made it clear that he likes me. Y'know, more than a shucking friend."

The boys shrug. "Whatever you think."

Later on, you run into Gally outside the Slammers, nearly toppling over after impact. "Hang on there," he chuckles lowly. "What's the rush? Did Newt call you over?"

A blush ripens your cheeks. "It's not - I'm not -,"

The Glader's undefeated wrestler eyed you, and slowly blinked. "Uh-huh," he nodded sarcastically. "I'm sure it isn't."

"Isn't what?" You jump. It's Newt.

"Raining!" You blurt, and immediate regret speaking and want to vow never to speak again for the rest of your life to prevent further embarrassment.

Newt seems confused at first, but nods. "Right you are, _______. I couldn't find you anywhere earlier, but I wanted to know if you wanted to sit with me at dinner. If you'd like."

"Sure!" You beam, watching Newt continue on his way. "I'll see you then!"

"It's not what, ay?" Gally asks you dryly, lip quirked up into a the beginnings of what could be a smile.

It was later that night, well after dinner, well into the darkness that followed suit whence the sun made its absence when your pulse settled down. It was when you lay awake in your hammock and contemplated why exactly that Newt made you feel like a ride down a slippery slide that Clint and Jeff had made once (and consequently, had to attend to everyone who fell off it). Why Newt made your head spin and cheeks hurt from smiling so much. Why you couldn't get the fact out that you loved -

Love?

The voice in your mind sounded doubtful. But it was right. This was love.

"Can't sleep Greenbean?" Newt whispered.

"How'd you know?" you murmured. "Join me?"

You barely heard his even footsteps, counting each footfall until he reached your hammock. "I thought you'd never ask."