chptr 43

a/n: double update to make up for mu hiatus + lets end it on a happy note, shall we? THIS ALMOST HAS 10K READS THANKS GUYS

After that night, something in the air between Leia and Calum changed once again. Somehow they felt closer to each other, more intimate than their first kiss gave them. Maybe because of the realization that their chemistry was beyond physical, and that their relationship was growing deeper and more serious as each day passed.

This fact was obvious to their friends, although they would not admit it themselves. Even though Luke, Ashton and Michael knew nothing about that night in Leia's bedroom, they noticed that spark in the couple's eyes, brighter than before.

"Are you guys together or?" Ashton asked, unable to keep his curiosity hidden.

"Well, Ashton," Calum said, "We're all together. In this room." Annoyed, the curly-haired boy shot him a venomous smile accompanied with a finger. Calum and Leia laughed good-naturedly, feeling their hearts race. "We're..." Calum looked to Leia and left his sentence unfinished.

"Just friends," she finished with a sweet smile, glancing back at Calum with a knowing look. Truth be told, they haven't defined their obvious relationship. But somehow, in that moment, being friends was enough.

"Best friends," Calum added with a cheeky grin. That earned him three matching glares from his friends.

After a few more shared looks and laughter, Michael and Ashton had to go home, so Leia decided to go as well. "I'll come with you," Calum told her, standing up. He mouthed a sorry to Luke.

"Okay. I'll be outside," she replied cheerfully, following the two boys outside their apartment while Calum retrieved his jacket from his room. When the door closed behind the three of them, Leia tapped Michael and Ashton's shoulders with a coy grin. "I need you guys to do me a favor."

"Depends on the favor," Michael said.

"I'm gonna prank Calum."

"We're in," they simultaneously answered, returning her devilish grin. Eagerly they leaned forward to hear about Leia's plans. A few snorts of laughter and whispered questions later, the plan was set to go in motion, just as Calum opened the door and startled the three of them. They all laughed nervously as they dispersed.

"Are you guys talking shit about me?" Calum asked warily.

"Yep," they all said with shared private jokes in their eyes, walking in front of the confused Calum who had no knowledge of what was in store for him.

After they found a taxi cab for Leia, Calum turned to bid goodbye to his two friends and was ready to go back to his apartment and maybe take a nap. Michael and Ashton had other ideas. "We're going out to eat. Come with us," Ashton told him authoritatively.

The tanned boy shook his head. "I'm good. Plus Luke's gonna be alone, so-"

"Luke's going out with Nicky today, he told me so," Michael cut him off impatiently. "Come on. Hang with us."

"No, guys, really-" He started to say, but before he could finish his sentence he was shoved inside a taxi cab and virtually kidnapped by his two best friends just outside his apartment. They were all laughing and pushing at each other (mostly Calum) when the cab driver sped off to God-knows-where. Calum was only slightly pissed. "Where the hell are you guys taking me?"

"I already told you. We're gonna go grab lunch."

Throwing his hands up in the air frustratedly, Calum sighed in defeat. There was no use trying to make sense of his best friends' weird thought processes. Plus, now that they mentioned it, he did feel a little hungry.

They ended up eating at a Mexican restaurant they frequented for the amazing tacos served there. They ordered their usual and was soon dining on the finest Mexican cuisine (that they could afford).

Calum noticed Ashton looking down most of the time, texting and receiving messages at random intervals of their meal. "Who's that?" he asked with a nod to Ashton's phone.

Ashton froze, but maintained a cool composure. He shook his head in a sassy way. "This is a phone, Calum. Not a person."

Calum kicked him underneath the table. "You know what I mean."

"It's my mom, geez," Ashton replied with a huff. "She's asking me if I could pick up some quesadillas before I get home."

It seemed probable and not at all ridiculous to Calum, so he nodded once again, oblivious to the secret smirks Michael and Ashton were sharing.

After that, Michael dragged them to an arcade across the street and killed half an hour picking what game to choose and ended up not even playing at all.

It was nearly sunset when Calum got home (Michael and Ashton got their own cab). He felt drained and tired from walking around, and wanted nothing more but to take a nap. He was already dreaming of his comfy bed and the welcoming darkness when he opened the door to his room.

What greeted him was something way different.

Stuffed toys. Frill. Pink. Balloons. Lace. Fluff. Everywhere.

"What the fuck is this?" he shouted to no one in particular, scratching his head. He strutted in his room and picked up a random doll on his bed, a blue dog toy. He examined the rest of the room and started picking up random things when he heard the door shut.

He heard Leia giggle before he saw her.

Already smiling, Calum put down the stuffed toys. His back was still turned to her, but he already knew she was grinning maniacally. When he turned around and sat on the edge of his bed, his suspicions were confirmed.

"Told you you need to be careful," she said with a cheeky grin, gesturing around Calum's room. "What do you think about my greatest work?"

"Very impressive," he conceded with a laugh. "And you better believe I'm gonna have my revenge."

She laughed, and he laughed, but all he could think of was how beautiful this moment was, and how grateful he was to have met her after all this time. There were no negative emotions floating in his mind- there was only pure bliss and overwhelming love.

"It's a gift, too," she told him.

"For?"

"For everything." She hesitated slightly before continuing. "I don't want to be one of those girls, but today's exactly one month since I met you, and I'm so thankful I did."

"I can't believe we've only known each other for a month," Calum said, even know it wasn't true on his part. He didn't even think about the lies he was saying. All he knew was that he was happy.

"Me too," she said. "I feel like I've known you for years."

Calum couldn't help himself anymore, so he got up and took her hand, pulling her gently towards him. With no hesitation he kissed her in the quiet of his room, wrapping his arms around her like he never wants to let go.

Leia tiptoed upward and kissed him back lovingly. Seconds turned into minutes but it all felt like time had slowed down for them and they didn't have to care how long they've been standing there, losing themselves into one another.

On the other side of the room, Luke had poked his head through the door only to find the blinding pink of Calum's room and the two still wrapped around each other. With a grin, he shut the door quietly and silently congratulated his best friend for finally finding his happiness.