chptr 4

from: leia
i discovered a really nice band today

from: leia
you'd totally love it

from: leia
theyre called The Renaissance Period

Calum was wiping away the sweat from his forehead as he read the new messages from Leia (he had finally changed the contact name). It had been three days since she started texting him, and it was always filled with random blurb about her day and complaining about school.

His teammates called him over as the soccer ball rolled near him. Waving to them, he kicked the ball and told them he was going to call it a day.

When he got home, he immediately opened his laptop and typed up the band Leia had recommended. He downloaded their latest album (released only a few weeks ago) and listened to it after he took a shower. There were new messages waiting for him.

from: leia
did u check them out?

from: leia
they're really good right??

Calum plopped down on his bed, exhausted. He put his earphones on and played his newly-downloaded album.

Six songs in and Calum felt like crying.

They were really good, to be honest. They sang about running away and breaking trusts and stepping out of the shadows of who they were expected to be. It was mostly all punk-sounding, with a few acoustic numbers, but Calum felt like this album was the roadmap to his fucking soul.

Apparently Leia felt so too, as she was absolutely buzzing with happiness.

from: leia
have u listened to Live While You Die???? its my favorite one omg

from: leia
to think this is their debut album

from: leia
new favorite band holy fuck

He couldn't agree more. He especially liked the band name, The Renaissance Period, because it meant the period of enlightenment (at least, that's what they explained in their Wikipedia page).

from: leia
reply nd tell me what u think pls!!!!

Calum almost replied. Almost. But if he did the messages would most probably stop coming, and he didn't like that fact. Leia's texts were becoming the highlight of his days.

There was a knock on the door, then Luke poked his head in. "Hey."

Calum tugged off one of his earphones. "Yeah?"

"'M ordering pizza, pepperoni, right?"

"You know it, thanks, mate." Calum resumed listening to the album again when Luke left, really feeling the vibe and appreciating the shrill guitars, the frantic drumming, and the anguished voices asking questions about society and life and where dead people went. Lyrically, Calum loved every song. They all spoke with bitter truth and sadness, but there was a tinge of hope to them, an underlying note telling people it would all turn out okay.

Calum thought of Leia, and he agreed this album was for her.

Luke called him for pizza a half hour later. He checked his phone before leaving, and sure enough there was a text from Leia, sent just seconds ago.

from: leia
i'm listening to beneath the purple sky.

Calum was startled by the fact that he, too, was listening to the exact same song at the moment. It was one of thr acoustic ones, very sad songs indeed. She sent another text.

from: leia
"i know you need somebody to hold and kiss you when you cry, im so sorry im above the clouds when you're beneath the purple sky."

The lyrics left Calum feeling wistful and depressed. That was the kind of song you hold on to. Luke noticed his wilted movements while they ate lazily in front of the television. "What's up, Cal?" he asked him.

Calum shook his head. "Just some song by some band called The Renaissance Period. I feel like my soul was sucked out of me."

Luke chuckled and continued with his slice until he finished and retreated back to his room. But an hour later he burst into Calum's room excitedly.

"Sick album, mate! I think I'm actually in love. Have you listened to that song, Asphalt? I feel like that song basically sums up my life. Holy shit," the blue-eyed boy ranted breathlessly. "How'd you find out about this band?"

Calum looked at his phone and smiled. "From a friend."

a/n; no, the renaissance period is not a real band.

UPDATE: a lot of people commented about the renaissance period haha im sorry it doesnt exist but in my mind they're kinda like the academy is+bright eyes+pencey prep/i am a graveyard (???) if u can imagine it lmao