LVII. Bash and Adèle

The following evening was filled with the loud screams and squeals of Theo and Cyril as they received their newest gifts from the king and queen of France.

The castle's dining room had been specially set up for Adèle's family. Instead of having a normal, tedious dinner, Mary had taken up the opportunity to have a livelier, yet comfortable party. The dining table was removed from the room, and replaced with different settees, sofas, armchairs, sent from Paris, and cushions with silk coverings of maroons, emeralds, and deep purples. The fireplace was well lit, along with a great number of candles. Its small flames twinkled, dancing in the dark. Several golden vases of a variety of flowers were also set out around the room to please its guests with its sweet fragrances. 

Mary sat with Francis, of course. They urged Adèle to let them accompany Theo and Cyril throughout the evening. Adèle was barely surprised; for they have only been begging to spend more time with her little brothers. She, however, spent most of her time sitting next to a Bash on a single velvet settee at the corner of the room, next to a vase of light blue hydrangeas set on a small, circular, mahogany table. A silver tray of two goblets filled with wine had also been placed on this table. As Adèle took another sip from her goblet, she looked at her parents, both of whom were busy conversing with Catherine. They seemed to be indulging in their conversation, for she noticed that they had not even taken one sip from their wine yet.

Then Adèle's eyes darted to Francis and Mary, who were now sitting on a vast rug placed on the floor, along with Theo and Cyril. Francis, who had taken a liking to Theo, gave him grand gifts that Adèle would have thought too expensive for a gift for a young boy.

Cyril rested on Mary's lap, as Mary read him a fascinating story from a book of children's tales. Cyril seemed very much amused, as he kept grinning, laughing, and gasping during different parts of the story.

"Who are you staring at?" Bash asked quite suddenly, as he brought the goblet to his lips, before giving Adèle a smirk.

"Just my brothers, and Mary and Francis," she said, her eyes still locked on the four of them. "Why do you ask?"

"I don't know, you seem to have this sense of curiosity and admiration in your eyes whenever you look at them," Bash replied. "Don't tell me you have taken a liking to my brother."

"Why would I do that," her eyes averted to Bash's, speaking softly. "..when I've got you?"

Because of her little tease, Bash became visibly flustered, his face reddening madly. This made Adèle giggle loudly, making a few heads turn to look at her, making her clasp her hand over her mouth in embarrassment. Taking another light sip from her wine, her eyes began staring blankly at the ground. Adèle now stood between a state of embarrassment and happiness. The reason why she seemed so happy was still unknown to her. Was it because she and Bash had finally returned to one another? Or was it because her life simply appeared at peace, and filled with much more joy that she needed?

"Adèle," Bash spoke her name, making her thoughts completely dissolve into nothingness. His eyes still lingered on hers, hinting her that he did not want them to break eye contact. Adèle grew quite nervous, as Bash appeared so serious, yet so calm. "I need to ask you something."

"What is it?"

"Do you want us.. to marry soon?" Bash asked this with a soft, almost inaudible tone, to make sure that no one else except Adèle had heard him ask this question.

She took her time to respond, even though she knew that she was, surely, definitely, unquestionably, going to marry him soon. "Yes," she then replied plainly. "Sure. Why not? We no longer have to wait, right?"