XXIV. Bash and Adèle

Adèle perceived the sounds of their little feet running through the great hallways.

It was a sound she has been long familiar with. She dropped her quill on to her desk and exited her chambers, where she was greeted with her little brothers and Bash. Their riding shirts were soaked in their sweat. The heavy miasma of dirt, sweat, and horses flowed into the air, making Adèle cover her nose with her hand. Bash smiled as soon as he saw her, for he was following behind Theo and Cyril.

"How was your morning ride, boys?" asked Adèle, who wiped the smudges of dirt off their faces and their clothes.

"Wonderful!" They uttered with glee. Adèle giggled, and then thanked Bash for letting them have a taste of the great outdoors after spending so much time inside the castle.

"And when will I take you for a morning's ride?" teased Bash.

"Not until we are finally married," Adèle replied. "Come on now." She took her little brothers' hands into hers and led them to their chambers for a bath and a change of clothes.

"Let me help," Bash insisted. "After all, we are going to have children together." 

Adèle looked at Bash, trying to not to look so irked by his teasing. "Very well. Theo, Cyril, Bash will come along with us, and help you bathe because God forbid I shall bathe you two rascals by myself," she said jokingly. They left for Theo and Cyril's bedchambers. Adèle held Cyril's hand, whilst Bash took Theo's. When they appeared together with Adèle's little brothers, it seemed as if they were a family already. At least, that's what it looked like to the members of French court. Their appearance together, along with Theo and Cyril, might cause a misunderstanding for the people in court, but none of them gave a single care.

When they had reached their chambers, Adèle undressed them of their clothes whilst Bash prepared a warm bath. In the end, they handed the task of bathing Theo and Cyril to the servants, whilst Adèle and Bash exited for the hallways. An unexpected guest stopped him in their tracks.

"Sebastian," said the guest. "I have been looking or you since the feast yesterday. Where have you gone?" Adèle noticed how unnerved Bash has become, ever since a third party joined them, and wondered what was wrong.

"Lady Kenna, it is impolite to not greet a noblewoman and one of the most powerful women in all of France." Bash stated, glancing at Adèle, who knew that something was troubling him, and then turned to Kenna once again.

"Forgive me. Adèle Prouvaire.. I have heard many stories of you," said Kenna, trying not to seem annoyed by Bash's attention that was directed solely to Adèle, and not her. "I believe we have not been acquainted with one another yet."

"Forgive me as well. I have not had the time, for I have been quite busy taking care of my little brothers."

"Adèle, will you allow me to speak to Lady Kenna in private?" asked Bash, realizing that his question have caused Adèle to misunderstand his intentions. Despite her worries, Adèle allowed them to do so and returned to Theo and Cyril's chambers to help them dress for a meeting with the queen they were to have this afternoon.

When they were finally alone, Bash's smile disappeared. He spoke to Kenna in a stern, and serious tone in his voice. "Kenna, you mustn't let yourself be this way anymore. I am a man engaged, and I do not want you in that way anymore. Please forgive me, but I want you to accept my engagement with Adèle with full kindness in your heart."

"You were in love with me," stated Kenna. "Why do you want to leave something so wonderful in the past?"

"There are things that are better left in the past, Lady Kenna, despite being so wonderful, or so great. It is what I have to do. What you have to do as well,"

"So you're just going to leave this all behind us? Is that what you want?" By now, Kenna was fuming with anger.

"Yes, truly. When I first became intimate with Adèle, I saw that you had accepted it and did not grow jealous. That is the Kenna I want you to be. The Kenna that does not become envious of others, but strives for things by herself."

"Stop spitting words that you do not mean just to get me to accept your damned betrothal. We had something special," She muttered quite loudly. "And if you must know, I was trying to mask my jealousy. I had not known that you were to be such close friends, let alone become engaged to each other."

"Well, forgive me, but I have a marriage I have to plan, and a family that I soon will have to raise. I do not need you interrupting my life, Adèle's life, and my future children as well. Farewell, Lady Kenna. Have a pleasant morning," Bash left her in a hurry, scurried back to his chambers, annoyed, and wanting to cool himself down, as tears flowed down Kenna's cheeks.