V. Adèle

"That's wonderful news, dear sister!" Jean-Michel's wide grin gleamed. He hugged her sister, and stopped the urge to spin her around, like when they were children.

"You're proud of me?"

"Never mind my opinion," he replied. "All I want is for you to be proud, my little Adèle. I have forgotten how much you have grown, and your shyness is disappearing as well,"

He gave a toast to celebrate for his sister. "A ride with the queen of Scotland. Only God knows what will happen next. Perhaps she and Francis will agree in giving you a title once Francis becomes king," Jean-Michel predicted.

Adèle simply smiled as a reply. She excused herself from her brother's chambers, telling him that she needed to rest.

"Rest as much as you need," Jean-Michel smiled at her little sister. "I will tell mother that Adèle has befriended the queen of Scotland,"

She placed her cup of wine on his desk and returned to her chambers with a different expression painted on her face. A ride with Mary seemed like a pleasant idea, but there was someone she longed to avoid since her arrival at French court. It was King Henry. There was something in his eyes; and the way they gazed at her when she stood near her brother. It was eyes that were blinded by lust, she knew. When she consulted to her brother on the matter, he comforted her by saying that Henry has already had an official mistress, and that he would never take her virtue.

Adèle tried to forget her troubles by calling a servant to help her undress and remove the corset that seemed to suck the air out of her lungs. She slipped into a nightgown made of fine silks, one of the gifts from her mother. But she was not weary yet, as Adèle was too caught up in her thoughts of French court.

Such a strange life, she thought. These royals have to face the danger of being titled, and escape the attempts on their murder each time, whilst keeping their composure and attending balls and parties dressed in fine clothing. 

She stared out of her window and gazed at the bloodwoods. Perhaps she was permitted by Mary to venture into the woods tomorrow morning, and she would tell her stories of her childhood and her time spent between the tall trees that reached the sky. She was startled when a guard announced a visitor in her bedchambers. A visitor that was none other than the Dauphin of France himself, Francis Valois. 

"My lord," she curtsied. "I did not expect your visit in the middle of the night,"

"Yes, Mary urged me to visit you, as she told me I would take a liking to you and you told her you have not met me yet. I hesitated at first, for I was too weary from the many wines I drank at the party, and all the dancing. Pleasure to meet you," Francis smiled.

Her mother often told Adèle about the handsome Dauphin, and how many girls encouraged themselves to try and capture his attention. Adèle took notice of the curly locks of blond hair, the stubble that grew on the lower area of his face, and his kind eyes. She found herself too excited by the dauphin's sudden appearance to reply anything, and so Adèle snapped out of her childish admiration toward Francis. She also found herself blushing, as she was so inappropriately dressed and her nightgown revealed areas of her untouched body for no man would ever be allowed to see, especially a soon-to-be-married man.

"It's a pleasure to meet you to," she said. "I apologize for not wearing something a little bit more appropriate,"

"It's completely fine," replied Francis. "Mary also told me the three of us are going riding in the morning." 

"Yes, I'm excited," Adèle bore furs from her bed that were meant to ease her when she was sleeping from the cold of the night. "You're a lucky man, my lord, to be married to such a lovely young woman; so beautiful and different from the others. I meant different in a good way,"

"Yes, I'm grateful for my betrothal with Mary. How old are you, Adèle?"

"Sixteen, my lord,"

"Better get married soon, then," Francis grinned. "It will happen sooner or later anyway, don't you agree?" 

Adèle nodded, and became uncomfortable as she realized Francis was spending more time in her bedchambers than she had expected. She thanked the Lord that Francis sensed her discomfort, and was prepared to leave her bedchambers. 

"I must leave," Francis spoke. "Until tomorrow morning, my lady,"