XVIII. Adèle

Where was he?

Adèle began to panic. The long, wooden dining table had been set with various plates of food, as she, her father, and her brothers were expecting a great feast tonight. A great number of candles already lit the dining room with dancing flickers of light from its flames, and the night was still and serene. It was the perfect night for a feast, Adèle thought. It would be even more perfect if Bash actually arrived in time, she thought to herself and grunted. Theo and Cyril were already seated on their chairs, impatiently waiting to gobble up their meals. Jean-Michel did not say a word, but it was evident that their mysterious guest not showing up too also irritated him. Adèle told them repeatedly not to, for they were still waiting for their guest. Her father also grew impatient, and asked Adèle numerous questions.

“Where is this guest of ours? Why has he not shown up?” asked her father. Adèle was also asking herself the very same questions. Indeed, where was Bash? Perhaps something had slowed down his journey here. Being the humble man that he is, Adèle knew that Bash had insisted he ride by himself and avoided using a carriage. Maybe there was a heavy rain on the way that made him stop in his journey to her home, she told herself.

“The food’s growing cold!” exclaimed Theo, as he glanced at the large roasted chicken on a silver plate whilst frowning.

“Why haven’t we eaten anyway?” asked impatient little Cyril.

“Because we’re waiting for a guest,” replied Adèle. “And it would be impolite if we ate first before they do, Cyril.”

“Who is this guest that you have invited anyway, my darling?” her father asked.

“A friend,” replied Adèle, still glancing at the entrance of their dining room. “Well, not exactly a friend. He has travelled a long way, and I’m sure he will arrive soon enough, and the feast that we have prepared will do him good.”

“Well if this friend of yours does not arrive in five minutes, we will give the food to the servants and the villagers nearby our château, my dear.”

Luckily, their guest had arrived on the fourth minute. He entered the dining room looking disheveled, and weary from a long journey. He ached all over, and when he picked up the delicious aroma of different foods, his face gleamed with pure joy. Bash approached Adèle first, who already rose from her seat and headed to Bash, giving him a hug. Then, he proceeded to shake hands with her father, who appeared disgruntled but tried to seem as happy as he could, and then Jean-Michel, who welcomed him with warmth. Finally, Bash walked towards Theo and Cyril, who seemed to be confused by the stranger in their dining room.

“Who are you?” Theo asked.

“I’m Bash,” he said. “And you two must be Theo and Cyril. Your sister has told me much about you.”

He took out something from his leather pouch, and then handed them two small wooden figures carved to look like a knight on a horse. Theo and Cyril responded to his gifts with glee, and snatched it off his hand.

“What do we say?” asked Adèle.

“Thank you,” they both replied in unison, before returning to their seats and observing the wooden carvings in their hands. 

“I told you not to give them gifts,” Adèle whispered to Bash as they too seated themselves in the dining table.

“I couldn’t help it.” Bash grinned.

The feast went better than Adèle had expected. Adèle’s father asked Bash several questions that he was happy to respond to. Theo and Cyril seemed to have enjoyed their gifts a little bit too much, as they spent more time playing with their toys than eating their meals. Their maids tried to help them eat more food, but they refused and the continued to attack each other’s knights with their own.

“Was my daughter well-behaved during her time in court, Sebastian?” asked Adèle’s father.

“She was more than pleasant,” replied Bash. “Mary and Francis both enjoyed her company. The court acknowledges and appreciates her warm and friendly demeanor,” replied Bash confidently.

“I must tell you, I have not visited court in the longest time. Last time I was there, Francis was no older than a young boy, no older than six years old. How is your brother Francis? Is he well? I remember him being a sickly child, you know,”

“He is more than fine, lord Prouvaire.” said Bash, and then sipped a goblet of wine.

“Father,” interrupted Adèle. “We have something to tell you.” Her father was too busy eating his meal to listen to Adèle, but fortunately Jean-Michel nudged him on his shoulder so that he would listen to his daughter.

“What is it, my dear?”

“Bash and I…” Adèle was too nervous, too anxious to tell her father of the news. She averted her eyes to Bash, who was waiting or her to complete her sentence and finally announce the news to her family, but she found it in herself that was not able to do so. Bash understood the nervousness that seemed to unease her, and then nodded, allowing him to tell the news himself without having to burden her with the obligation.

“We are engaged,” he stated. “And we are to marry soon, hopefully, in the castle. After Francis’s coronation if possible.”

Lord Prouvaire seemed more surprised than happy, at first. “How long have you two been engaged? And Adèle, why have you not told a soul, especially me and your mother?”

“I have told mother and Jean-Michel, but we figured it would be best if we told you.. together.” she replied with a smile on her face, looked at Bash, and then to her father.

“Splendid!” exclaimed her father, with a wide grin on his face. “Utterly splendid! By God, my daughter went to French court for two days and not she engaged! I am incandescently happy for you two, my dears. Jean-Michel, you will have to catch up with your little sister or you will die a lonely old man,” he roared with laughter that filled the dining room. “Have you set a date for your wedding yet? How many children do you expect? A father wants grandchildren, you know!”

Adèle and Bash looked at each other and giggled. “Don’t rush us, father,” said Adèle. “We have not had plans for children, yet.”

“What’s going on?” asked Cyril, looking confused.

“I am going to marry your sister, Cyril. But first, you must give me permission to do so,” said Bash.

Cyril glanced at Theo. There was an exchange of whispers between the two, and then Cyril replied with a serious expression on his face, “I give you permission to marry my sister, but if you hurt her, I’ll hurt you in the chest with my wooden sword.”

Adèle, Jean-Michel, their father and Bash could not but laugh at his response. “Cyril, no one could ever win a sword fight against you, and I have met many swordsmen in my lifetime.”

“I told you I’m the best fighter of all of France!” Cyril exclaimed at her brother.