XIII. Bash

Leaving so soon.

Bash watched as her valises on the courtyard floor, as Adèle stood next to her carriage. She showed little movements, and stood as still as ever, wrapped with a cloak of a deep blue colour that accented her eyes. He, too, stood in the courtyard, however hidden behind the large pillars before him. In the world of large parties and glamorous gowns, Bash always remained the shadow behind the walls; he was always there, and there were those who caught glimpses of him, yet he does not voluntarily show himself before court. Bash watched Adèle's stillness, and how even from a distance, he could see sadness in her eyes. The feeling of guilt began to poison his mind, when he realized that he had been the one who told her to return home, without consulting the king and queen of France beforehand. 

But their advice was not necessary, as Bash knew that they would not agree to not let Adèle return home after such a short time in court. They, of course, was unaware of the danger that lay before their very eyes, and not just regular traitors and spies living in court, but the blood sacrifices and rituals of his own religion in the bloodwoods; and even worse, the Darkness that grew nearer and nearer to Bash's home. 

He decided to pace towards Adèle, for he thought he needed to say a few last words to show his politeness. King Henry who was currently speaking to one of his advisers, caught the sight of Bash approaching Adèle, and he could not help but feel like a matchmaker. When Henry first heard of their betrothal, his heart filled with glee. He knew that they were soon to fall in love with one another, and it was a short amount of time before they were to marry.

"Adèle," said Bash. "I'm afraid we've missed the first step of becoming engaged to one another." 

"And what is that step?" asked Adèle, appearing curious. 

"Falling in love," he said. "With you leaving so soon, we barely have enough time to know each other better, and become more than just acquaintances. What do you propose we do?" 

Adèle shrugged. "I haven't got a clue." 

"Perhaps you can write to each other," another voice chimed in their conversation. "I will have one of my personal messengers deliver your letters for one another. With that, you can still maintain a close, personal relationship and that your engagement will not fall off quickly," 

Letters? Bash thought. I barely have enough time for reading letters, let alone write them.

"Very well," he replied instead. "I shall try my best to write to you every day, Adèle." 

King Henry grinned from ear to ear, for he knew that his plan to unite the two families was progressing quicker than he thought. Bash asked his father to excuse himself so that he and Adèle would be able to speak of private matters on their own. 

"I'm your father and your king," said Henry jokingly. 

"We are very well aware of that," said Bash, looking slightly annoyed at his father's attempted jest. King Henry laughed at Bash's expression as he gave his reply, and then returned to Catherine and his advisers, leaving the two of them alone. "Now that my father's gone, I just wanted to ask you when you want to return to court, and how many months you prefer to be parted from, until we can marry."

"I have not yet thought of that.. but not too long would be quite perfect. Besides, we need to learn how to fall in love with one another so that our marriage will not become a fruitless one. Perhaps you may visit me regularly, or I visit you," she suggested. 

"I agree that simple letters are not enough. I shall try to make this work if you do too, Adèle. But there's one thing that I ask of you," 

"What is it?" 

"Once we marry, I was hoping that you take up chambers in French court, or possibly move into mines as well," Bash said. He noticed he had worried his betrothed with his heavy request. 

"Bash, forgive me but.. I cannot simply leave my home," Adèle said, with a hint of worry in her tone. "I have a duty, as you have known. My brother will marry a woman soon, and you are aware that the relationship between my parents is continuously falling apart. I have a duty to take care of Theo and Cyril, my little brothers, as no one else in my family were willing to do so."

"You have servants, don't you? They will take care of them, as it is their duty," 

"Bash," she said. "I cannot simply abandon my little brothers. They are the light of my life, and if you come and visit often, which I hope you will, they could be yours too. I hope you understand," 

"That's fine, Adèle. I should not have asked such a silly request. And you are right, I should come visit often, for I have not yet been acquainted with your family, except your brother.." 

"You are speaking like that kind of a man I would happily marry," Adèle gave a shy smile, and surprisingly, gave a small kiss on his forehead, making Bash's cheek flush with pinks and reds. "Until we meet again." She finally said, before bidding her farewells to the king and queen, Francis, Mary and her ladies-in-waiting, and then hopped into her carriage and gazed at Bash through the opening. Bash could not help but touch his cheek, still feeling her lips on his skin. His eyes turned to Kenna, Lola, and Greer, who were giggling at him. Arrogant expressions painted their faces; for they have finally discovered the truth they had known all along. 

"Shit," Bash muttered under his breath.