XX. Bash

Life went on, no matter how uneventful, as it may seem.

Bash was pleased that he and Adèle took up the habit of writing letters to each other. Sometimes they wrote frequently, when they had time for themselves. There were also times where they would not write to each other for more than a week, as a pile of duties occupied their lives. It was now more than a month since the announcement of their engagement, and those who knew of this, pried Bash on the date of his wedding and why he and his betrothed did not marry as soon as they were engaged. 

Bash's response to their questions was often just grunts, or if he did bother to reply, he would say that they did not want to marry before Francis and Mary have their coronation, for it would be improper. Another response that he would give was that Adèle wanted to them to take some time before they marry and not rush the wedding. This seemed to shock the members of court, and they would ask: "What kind of girl doesn't want to rush a wedding?" Bash would reply in his thoughts: a girl unlike any other.  

"How was your stay in Aix-en-Provence?" asked Mary one morning, when she stumbled upon Bash in the corridors near her chambers.  

"Delightful," Bash responded frankly. "I'm still surprised her parents have accepted me, despite my current situation."  

"What did you two do then? Francis tells me you have not kissed her. Honestly, I'm quite disappointed in you, Bash; with your reputation of being a massive flirt." 

"I have kissed her," Bash said confidently. "She was graceful, but timid as always. It will be difficult to allow herself to be more open, especially during the consummation. But I will let her become more open in her own time, or that's what I think is best anyway."

Mary chuckled. "Oh, Bash. A little bird told me you spent much time together, and not even her little brothers could set you apart. You even gave her a nickname. Lionheart is it?"

"It isn't wrong for a man to spend time with his future wife," Bash stated.  

"Indeed," Mary chuckled again. "Very well. I shall leave you to your thoughts."  

As soon as Mary left, Bash returned to his bedchambers and sat on his armchair. His hair was rugged and disheveled from a night spent in the forest, investigating the dark powers that were creeping its way to the castle. He was, understandably, tired from all the travels. Bash stripped himself off his leather clothing, and wore a simple tunic, his trousers, and a pair of leather boots. He felt the heat of the fireplace against his skin, and noticed there was an envelope on his desk. Naturally, he expected the letter to be from Adèle, and he grew somewhat excited, and began to read.

Dear Bash,

            You are aware of the current situation between my father and I. Well, I'm worried that they will not be able to reconcile with one another. There are several signs that have hinted this, such as, for example, my mother has purchased an estate that's very far from Aix-en-Provence, and has insisted that she stay for as long as she desires. My father, in response to her plans to move away once more, grunted and did not say a word.

            I'm afraid I don't know how long this will go on. My father, being a devoted Catholic, has not taken up a mistress yet, thankfully. I suspect he is still sad that his wife has set herself apart from him, but he tries to hide his feelings from my brothers and me. I intend to visit my mother soon and take Theo and Cyril with me, but with the unrest in villages and the road that I will pass, Jean-Michel has consulted me not to. Regarding Theo and Cyril, frankly, I don't know how to tell them of my their parents', of our parents', current issues. Theo and Cyril would sometimes beg for their mother, and I have made effort to try to hide the truth from them. I have told my little brothers that she is travelling to Spain to visit some of our cousins. They believed my little white lie, but I'm still afraid that they will discover the truth.  

            Before telling me to consult to Jean-Michel so that he can take this matter into his hands and take care of this himself, I can tell you that it will not be possible. He's becoming busier every second as I write this letter. My father, although being the true owner of my family's lands, has grown lazy and lets my brother occupy himself with paperwork and overlooking my family's farmlands. I can see that Jean-Michel is more fatigued than ever, and if he continues to exasperate himself like this, he will never find peace. What I am asking you right now is to find him a wife so that he will finally settle down and have a family of his own. Perhaps one of Mary's ladies-in-waiting?

            I just want my brother to find true happiness, and maybe he will find it in a married life. When he does, I will take care of my family's lands on my own, with the help of my advisors and other nobles. I believe that I am capable of doing so, and I know that it will not make my father but you and myself proud, as well. Despite being my future husband, you have every right to disagree with me.  

Write to me soon.  

Adèle  

As he read the letter, Bash knew what he would response to her plans. There were advantages and disadvantages, of course. Bash stood up and immediately went to his desk where he wrote his reply.

Dear Adèle,

            Whilst things may not seem as peaceful right now, I am very sure that your parents will become united once more. I suggest that you do not think of it as much as you do now, for I know it stresses you. I think it's best that instead of begging for your mother to return for the sake of Theo and Cyril, you show to your father, your brothers and the servants that you are capable of becoming a responsible, loving sister. This way, you will allow your mother to think of the current situation while you take care of your brothers.

            I also agree that your brother should marry. It's time that he takes up a wife. There are many young women in court who would be glad to marry a nobleman, and I will seek to it with the help of Francis and Mary. Although, you specifically asked that I ask one of Mary's ladies-in-waiting to become his potential wife, but it may be difficult. You know I was once engaged to Mary, but after Francis's return and Nostradamus's prophecy was disproven, there are a number of issues regarding her ladies. Lola, as you know, is bearing Francis's child, and cannot simply be married to any man at the moment, for it is her time to rest and bear her child peacefully. Greer is engaged and is to marry a noble and a lord. Kenna has a reputation that you are already aware of, that your brother would not accept, being as much of a devoted Catholic as your father. I remind you too that she was once the king's mistress. For now I cannot think of a young woman that may be a candidate for your brother's wife, then I will write to you.

            Forgive me for not writing such a lengthy letter as yours, but I did not want to annoy you with my opinions. I hope that you will come to the castle during Francis and Mary's coronation, so that we can be with each other once again. 

Until we meet again, my lionheart.  

Sebastian