XXII. Bash

There was a puzzled look on her face, one that he cannot seem to forget.

It was both a face of confusion and disappointment. Bash was tangled in a conversation with Lady Kenna, who seemed to be flirting with him. He had known from the very first day she and her other ladies-in-waiting arrived in court; Lady Kenna was attracted to Bash. Despite the flirtations, Bash found himself capable of avoiding her yet still remaining friends. He only spoke to her when King Henry was present, but now that his father has died, Lady Kenna was able to pursue Bash without a single worry. Bash grew even more uncomfortable when he realized that Lady Kenna was now flirting with him publicly.

Bash ceased his conversation with Kenna when he saw Adèle with her little brothers. He immediately left and walked towards her, leaving Lady Kenna equally as confused as Adèle. Although Adèle appeared as if she did not want to have a conversation with him, Bash knew that there was something that urged her to talk to him for hours and hours.

"Adèle," Bash smiled. "I did not think you were to arrive so early. I am more than happy that you are able to stay in the castle for a little while longer."  

"My brother insisted that I leave earlier than I had intended for us to."

"Are you upset with me?" asked Bash.

"Bash, I'm very tired and I wish to return to my chambers and prepare for the coronation."  

Before saying another word, Bash stopped himself from trying to continue their conversation and understood that Adèle was now both tired and vexed, two feelings that do not go together very well. "I will meet you again during the coronation then. Until tonight," Bash said, before walking to his own chambers.

He asked himself a million questions afterwards, but there was only one that remained in his mind: what could he possibly have done to upset her?