XXIII. Bash

Where was his lionheart?

He continued to ask himself the same question for hours upon hours.

In the midst of a heavy crowd, with many beautiful ladies who hailed from different places in France, England, even Spain, there was only one who he was looking for: Adèle.

Where was she, indeed? Bash walked through the crowd, trying to find his betrothed. Francis, Mary, even Mary's ladies-in-waiting were asking Bash why he looked so troubled and why did he look like he was searching for someone. Bash did not say anything in response, and instead continued his search. Once he gave up, Bash returned to his seat near the corner and buried his face in his hands. How could have possibly irritated her so much that she did not want to attend the king and queen's feast after their coronation? Bash rarely saw her during the coronation, but he had heard her voice.

Though he knew that the small hope that lingered in his heart was bound to perish, he was wrong. Bash noticed that a guest entered the feast with, dressed in a magnificent red dress that flowed to the ground. It was none other than Adèle, with Theo and Cyril on her right and left as they clutched on to her hands. It was in their innocent faces that Bash noticed the fear and the anxiety of attending their very first royal party. It was strange, too, that the expressions on their faces ressembled greatly to his and Francis's when they were their age.

Men and women who held the highest ranks in all of France greeted Adèle with a kind smile. She replied hello as well, and led her little brothers to Bash. Their small hands tucked on the hem of her dress, as they approached Bash feeling shy. 

"Sebastian," Adèle said in a gentle voice and curtsied. "Forgive me for being so erratic this afternoon. I was not feeling very well."  

"It's nothing to worry of," replied Bash, and then kneeled to speak to Theo and Cyril. "Hello there. Have you met your new king?"

"No," Cyril said shyly, his cheeks blushing with red.

"He's my brother you know. Come, let me introduce you to him." Bash stood up and caught Adèle giving him a smile. Bash wanted to make sure that his only intentions were to make Adèle as happy and as comfortable as she desired during her stay in French court, for she was to be his wife sooner than later. They paced towards Francis, who was drinking the castle's fine wine and chatted with several noblemen. Mary stood beside him, and when she noticed Adèle's presence, she could not help but become filled with excitement.

"Adèle!" she exclaimed. "You have brought you brothers along with you. How delightful," Mary greeted Theo and Cyril and shook their small hands. The two boys suffered a painful shyness as they stood near their king and queen, and this made Mary giggle.

"Francis," said Bash. "These are Adèle's brothers, Theo and Cyril."

Francis greeted them with a hello. Theo and Cyril tried to bow, for they were standing before their almighty king, but their failed attempt at bowing did not disappoint or embarrass Adèle, instead it made her laugh, along with Francis, Bash and Mary as well.

"Did you like our gifts for you?" asked Mary.

"Yes," Theo blushed. "Thank you." They both said in unison. Adèle loved the quiet voices of their little brothers as they tried to mask their shyness. She excused herself and brought her little brothers to where the guests were dancing. Adèle showed them how to perform a dance that was not too difficult for their age, and then headed towards the center of the dancing areas and practiced their dance together. Theo and Cyril were clumsy little boys, and so as they danced, Adèle squealed as their feet on stepped on hers. Gaiety filled the atmosphere of the room, as the sounds of various instruments boomed throughout and people danced with gleeful expressions painted on their faces.

Bash watched from afar, gazing at his betrothed and how graceful she appeared, even while dancing with children. He approached her, and then said to Theo and Cyril, "Please allow me the honor of dancing with your sister,"

Adèle's cheeks flushed, and then led her little brothers to Mary. Adèle had noticed how Mary was looking at Theo and Cyril throughout the evening, and she soon realized that Mary longed to spend some time with her little brothers. The reason behind this was obvious to her. Whispers have told her that Mary struggled to produce an heir, but she adored children. Adèle did not want to speak of this with her or anyone for that matter, for it was a very intimate topic that not even nobles deserved to gossip about.

Thank you, she mouthed to Mary, as she led them to the edge of the hallway to show them the various instruments whilst doing a little dance themselves. Adèle heard the laughter ringing on the walls, and was glad that her little brothers behaved well in front Mary, queen of France and Scotland.

"Shall we dance?" asked Bash, taking her hand into his.

Adèle blushed, and replied, "Only if you take Theo and Cyril riding in the morning tomorrow morning."

"For you, I would do anything, my lionheart."