II. Bash

Bash nodded, and they headed to a small corner of the throne room where they were able to speak in private.

As soon as they were unwatched from the eye of public and of French court, Henry’s facial expression became serious. “You must wed and bed her,” he stated.

Confused, Bash replied with the shortest question in the world: “What?" 

“You are unaware of the power these two siblings and their family possess in France. Their power is nearing my own, and for that we need to avoid any form of competition and especially a young, wealthy man usurping my throne,”

“There are many wealthy men in France. Some of those men possess titles and were also born to noblemen. Why are you worried?” 

“Yes, but you bring me back to my previous statement. Bash, you are do not know how formidable their family is.

 “As formidable as the Medici family in Italy?” 

“Even more,” he said. “With a union between you and Adèle, two families will be able to aid each other in financial means. France shall be the richest kingdom in all of Europe, all due to your marriage with Adèle and Francis’s marriage with Mary,” Henry continued, irritated by Bash’s interruption. 

Bash still protested. “Father, I’m not marrying our guest due to financial motives. I am a man of freedom, and I shall marry for love when the time comes, because there is no one urging me to marry soon,”

 “I am urging you to marry soon, and to marry Adèle. You will fall in love during your wedding night, I am sure of it. She is a bright young woman with many skills, both in business and sex,”

 “I am not going to discuss with you of such topic,” said Bash. “I will wait, and when the right woman comes, I will marry her,”

 “You will age, you will lose your youthful appearance, and you shall become the wifeless bastard,” Henry spoke bitterly. “Your skin will grow wrinkly and your drinking will bring you to your death unless you have a woman to distract you from your troubles. Sebastian, I am certain that you will grow to like Adèle. She is a woman of business, political sciences, economics, and hunting, as she spent most of her lifetime in the forest near her château,”

Bash had not given a reply yet, as marriage and losing his freedom clouded his thoughts. Perhaps Henry was right, he thought. Perhaps I will grow old and wifeless, and my freedom will no longer be something to indulge in.

“I know you are still infatuated with Mary. I see the way that you look at her, but she is a wife to another now. It is impossible for you to marry her,”

“But if I do marry Adèle, her family will disown her for marrying a child that is not born out wedlock. Her wealth will become fruitless, and so will our marriage if it does happen,” Bash replied.

“Nonsense,” the king said. “My blood, royal blood, still runs in you, Sebastian. I will persuade her parents to marry you, and then two most powerful families in France shall unite in glory,”

Bash no longer had counterclaims to argue with his statement, but he refused to agree to marriage so quickly. There were still more to think of. Not in French court, but in his bedchambers, alone.