XXVIII. Bash

To Kenna, a wedding was what she had desired ever since she was a child. To Bash, weddings weren't something that he bothered to think about.

As soon as Adèle gave up her engagement to allow Kenna to marry Bash, his life was filled with wedding plans. Whether it be floral arrangements, choosing the right wedding gown, invitations for the wedding feast, Kenna would always occupy whatever little free time Bash had to discuss of their upcoming wedding. He did not want to upset Kenna, thus every time she came running to him to talk of wedding plans, he would put on a false smile and then groaned quietly out of vexation.

"What do you think of these colour swatches? Should we go for something a little lighter, or should we keep these tones? Bash, are you listening to me?" Kenna asked, as they sat on the sofa in their bedchambers.

"Whatever you want, my love." Bash replied. He used terms of endearment only to please Kenna, but truly, he did not mean them.

"Very well, we will stay with the original colours. I've ordered flowers and silks from Paris to be shipped here, as well. I want this to be a grand wedding, one like no other. Don't you want it, too, Bash?"

"Yes." he replied, gave a small smile and then turned his gaze to the fireplace, returning to his usual cold demeanor.

"You don't look happy. Why aren't you? I'm doing all the work while you're here looking gloomy as ever. What has happened to you?"

"Nothing, Kenna.." he reassured here. "I'm just very tired and I need rest. I would love to help you plan our wedding, but numerous days of hunting and going into the woods have left me weary. I'm sure you understand, Kenna. Please believe me,"

"I'm not sure it's because you're tired, Bash. You regularly hunt, and you never seem a least bit tired to me," Kenna suspected. "Tell me the truth, will you?"

Bash groaned. "I am telling you the truth, Kenna. I don't want to have another argument today. I'm going to rest," He rose from the sofa and approached Kenna's bedchambers' doors. He knew how much he was going to struggle as soon as he tried to escape another argument, for Kenna will only pull him back in, pry him with questions, and finally end up soaking in tears and accusing him of things, for which Bash would deny.

"You still love her." Kenna said, with a small, childlike voice, as her eyes grew wet with tears. "You may not admit it but I know it, Bash."

"I don't, Kenna. If I did not love you, I would not have wanted to plan our wedding together."

"Well you might do it but you don't seem particularly excited about it,"

"What do you want me to do, then? What can I do to make you happier? I have left Adèle for you, she has allowed us to marry for the sake of your happiness, and I have agreed to this engagement. What more do you need, Kenna?"

"Here we go again, Bash. You will always think of me as the spoiled, easily fooled little girl. It is not who I am," she stated. "I can see through your lies, Bash. Do you think I am too stupid to not see that you are still in love with Adèle?

Bash kept quiet. "And how in the world are you possibly in love with her?" Kenna continued. "You were forced into that engagement, and I know how you despise being forced into things that you do not want. You were in love with me, Bash, and remember that. Those nights we shared together.. was it really nothing compared to the time you spent with her, doing nothing, because you weren't able to do things together as you were mere strangers to one another?"

"You don't know of the time I shared with Adèle when we were engaged, so do not speak of it, Kenna." Bash said, almost raising his voice.

"If you still, truly love her, then go to her. Even if it pains me to know that I failed another opportunity of being with you forever,"

"No, I will not leave you for Adèle. I do not want us to disappoint her, because she risked everything for this engagement. If it makes her happy that we are to be a married couple, then so be it."

"Bash.." Kenna uttered, and paced closer towards him. Slowly, he opened his arms for her. As Kenna rested her head on his chest, Bash's thoughts were filled with Adèle, and Adèle only. It seems that he cannot wipe thoughts of her off his mind.

"Promise me you will make this work for us? And for Adèle?"

"I promise."

He lied.