XXXVI. Adèle

There were two people who did not appear as merry as other court members during the day of Bash's pre-wedding feast.  

It was none other than Bash and Adèle. Although they did seem to try to appear as joyous as others, their forced smiles told otherwise. Kenna had decided on a morning wedding feast, but the actual wedding ceremony was to be held during the evening, which was something that displeased Bash and Adèle. This meant that they had to wake hours before dawn, for a wedding that was set to go on for only a third of the time they were going to spend preparing for it. Adèle awoke from her sleep as early as she could to dress herself. Although, she was glad that she had more time to try and look her best.

"You know, there will be many young bachelors attending the wedding. Counts, dukes, princes, nobles from exotic lands.." Greer teased, as she stood near her, with a silver goblet of wine in her hand. They stood together near the rows of tables of food as they watched court members and guests dance merrily in the middle of the room.

"I think I have had enough with men and their false affections, Greer. Perhaps I will go on a voyage or two, to Italy, or maybe Germany, just to distract myself, don't you agree?"

"My opinion doesn't matter," Greer smiled. "Aren't you going to dance?" She asked, changing the conversation.

"Maybe later, I think. Tonight, my only lover is food." She said, as she proceeded to chew on a piece of cake she stole off the dining tables. Greer chuckled at her carefree attitude. Munching on a delicious slice of cake was not something Adèle was able to do gracefully, but then again, she did not care. The two women watched as court members danced with people of high ranks.

"Goodness, I did not realize Kenna had invited so much people to her wedding," Adèle said, as she wiped off a small portion of her cake that stuck on her lips. "Did she worry that there will be a shortage of high ranking nobles for court members to dance to?"

"Seems like it," Greer replied, as they watched a number of nobles enter the halls. These nobles were primarily composed of men and women dressed in lavish and exquisite clothing, as Kenna expected them to wear. "Look at Kenna. Not even married yet and she is all over Bash like a merchant and a casket of gold."

"She's not the patient one, as we all know. Just wait until the consummation. Imagine how much men will become even more attracted her once they realize her expertise in the bedchambers,"

Greer laughed, and took a sip of her wine. She then pointed at behind Adèle, making her confused. It took her a few moments to realize that someone was standing behind her, and she quickly turned around and stepped out of their way. "No need to excuse yourself," the stranger spoke. "I am here to be acquainted with you, Lady Prouvaire."

The familiar face of the stranger brought a long forgotten memory to Adèle's head. She quickly realized the identity of the stranger, and put on a wide smile on her face. "Stéphane!" she exclaimed his name, out of slight intoxication due to the wine she drank. In short, Adèle was a quite tipsy. "I did not expect you to be here. How are you, my friend? Are you married?"

As the questions slipped out of her mouth, Greer could not help but want to save her from embarrassment. She removed the glass of wine off her grasp, and placed on it on a table nearby, thus taking away her source of drunken behaviour. Adèle, however, began to notice how much her friend has grown. He has grown tall, and the deep brown curls sat on top of his head, sort of disheveled-looking. He has grown a stubble as well; a sign that he has become a man, and no longer the little boy she knew as a child. He possessed a defined jaw, and his eyes were two dark brown circles. He seems to be dressed in very elegant-looking clothing, something that definitely was not made in Paris. Adèle, admittedly, was quite impressed.

"I am more than fine, thank you," he replied. "And I am not married, unfortunately. I am quite preoccupied with my work as of late. How is your brother? I have not met Jean-Michel in a long time, I will admit. Although I am making plans to travel to Aix-en-Provence to discuss food supply with your father. I wonder if he still recognises me,"

"Of course he does," She replied, fixed her posture and tried not to look as drunken as she did before. "Stéphane, this is my friend, Greer, one of Mary's ladies-in-waiting. Greer, this is my old friend, Stéphane. We grew up together near Aix-en-Provence, although he soon left for Nantes." Adèle introduced her, and in return, Greer bowed before him.

"Perhaps I shall leave you two alone then. Have a pleasant evening, you two," Greer bowed, and then left. Before this, she gave a small wink to Adèle, and disappeared before their eyes.

Oh God, Adèle thought to herself.

Stéphane averted his eyes to her, and then asked, "Shall we dance together?"

Adèle, who was not listening to him, turned her head to his face and asked, as her cheeks blushed, "Sorry?"

"Do you fancy a dance, maybe?"

Her eyes averted from his to Bash, who was standing across the room with his eyes fixed on her. Without even thinking twice, she said yes.