Prologue

(Edited 10-14-15)

August 18th, 2014

The pain I felt was unbearable. I felt like I was shedding my skin, and with every move I made I could hear bones breaking.

My mother was kneeling next to me whispering words of comfort.

"It will be over soon...Deep breaths...I know it hurts..."

Her words were going in one ear and out the other. This hurt like a mother. All I wanted to do was give up and accept death right then and there.

We were in the basement of our Arizona home. We had renovated it and put in sound proof walls and everything we could have done to keep our secret safe. However, I still think the neighbors could hear my horrible screams.

Soon enough I became numb to the pain and just whimpered as I layed on the floor.

ONE HOUR LATER

The transformation was finally complete.

I looked around the room.

Every color I saw was clearer and brighter than I had ever seen before. In the air I could smell the french onion soup my mother had made 2 hours earlier. The smell was strong and still seemed fresh. My senses were heightened and I could feel and hear everything around me.

I yipped in excitement and tested out my new legs. After 18 years of waiting for this moment, it was finally here. I wanted to feel this good all the time. The joy was overwhelming.

When I finally looked to my parents they had a look of complete and utter fear mixed with shock on their faces.

The joy quickly dissipated as I wondered what was wrong. Did I look weird? I padded over to the closest mirror and looked at my reflection.

no, no, no

Dread overcame me in that moment as I realized what I was. In the mirror I saw a wolf coated in fur as white as snow, with piercing blue eyes. I could not recognize at that moment how beautiful I really was. I wanted to rip out my fur and replace it with anything else but white.

Why me?

I knew my fate and I could see my whole life shatter before my eyes. The rumors about my kind were never good. The danger and evil we possessed, the strength and immense intelligence. That would explain why I did so well in school. I was born this way, but only showed my true colors now.

Why me?

I kept asking myself that very same question over and over again.

I wanted to change back. I wanted to be human again. I wanted to be normal. I didn't want or ask for this. This cant be fair. What's going to happen to me?

"What's going to happen to me?" I reiterated my question out loud, but realized I spoke through my thoughts.

"Nothing. We'll do everything we can to keep you safe." My father said.

I looked back at my reflection...

I hope so.