Hazardous Situations

Rowan couldn't breathe. She felt like relapsing.
The team was rushing around her but she couldn't move or think or even wince as Penelope dropped a file directly in front of her on accident.
She couldn't live with it- if Spencer was dead, she didn't know what she would do.
After an hour, Rowan stepped outside. She leaned against the building, closing her eyes and letting her head rest on the wall.
"Rowan?" She opened her eyes to see her sister. "Morgan told me about Spencer. I'm really sorry."
"He's not dead. There's nothing to be sorry for." Rowan said shortly. Something moved behind Genesis's eyes but Rowan was far too distraught to pick up on it.
Genesis stood to walk away and Rowan cast her eyes to the ground.
"Why is there blood on your shoe?" She demanded. Rowan stood, heart pounding.
"You caught me." Genesis moved much more quickly than Rowan could have thought possible.
She grabbed Rowan's gun just as Rowan's hand went around it. They struggled for several seconds.
Rowan, seeing herself losing, let go. Genesis reeled back and Rowan kicked her in the knee, ducking Genesis's swinging arms. Rowan shot back up, punching her in the nose.
Genesis shouted in pain and Rowan shook out her hand: it stung from hitting solid cartilage.
Rowan went for the gun against just as Genesis swung her arm around, hitting Rowan squarely in the jaw.
She stumbled, seeing stars and stringing curses into her breaths.
The gun slammed down on her temple.

"Rowan? Please wake up." Spencer begged. He was slowly bleeding out.
"Oh, shut it." Genesis was strapping Rowan to a chair.
Her nose was broken and her knee was fractured. It was difficult to walk.
"What did you do to her?" There was a shallow cut on the side of Rowan's face and a bruise on her temple.
"Be lucky she's alive." Genesis wiped the blood from her face and stood.
Spencer hadn't been able to make out where they were being kept: it was dark and humid. A single bare bulb was the only illumination he could see.
Genesis pointed a gun to the ceiling and fired.
Rowan snapped awake. Her eyes, hazy for several seconds, before they settled on Spencer.
She went to move towards him when she realized she was strapped down.
Her eyes narrowed on Genesis.
"What do you want, Genesis?" Rowan demanded.
"I want my dad back." Genesis snapped. "Since I can't have that, I'm going to make you pay."
Rowan noticed Spencer's wound. The single bullet through the very tip of his heart. It would take him hours to bleed out but not long enough to ensure his survival.
"I'll do whatever you want if you let him go." Rowan negotiated.
"You're going to do whatever I want so I won't hurt him." Genesis corrected. "You don't have anything to bargain with."
"I do." Rowan objected. She thought quickly. "I can show you were he's buried. You can get closure." She tried.
"I don't want closure. I want my dad!" Genesis, much like the little girl she was on the inside, lost her temper and shot Rowan in the left foot.
Rowan struggled not to scream. She did, however, let out a loud groan.
"Spence? It's a girl." She managed.
Spencer couldn't even bring himself to feel excited.
He would have to watch his pregnant wife be murdered, or his pregnant wife would have to watch him be murdered.
Neither options were looking good for them.
Spencer said nothing but Rowan knew what he meant. They shared a single glance before turning both eyes to Genesis.
"You two think you're so unbreakable. I will make you beg for mercy, Roanoke Reid. Beg until you will sell your soul for one moment of relief."
"You'll never be better than Dad, Genesis. And I survived sixteen years of that." Rowan managed through her pain.
"Do you know how he survived after your tried to murder him?" She leaned closer. "I dragged him out of the burning building and sewed up the bullet hole. I saved him." She told her.
"Jealous because he refused to touch you?" Rowan demanded.
She knew what she was doing: by infuriating Genesis, her resolve was breaking. She would break soon.
Genesis shot Rowan in the right shoulder, through solid muscle.
Rowan did scream at that shot.
"I should kill your baby. Shoot straight through. It won't kill you." Genesis threatened, pressing the gun to her stomach.
"No!" Spencer shouted.
"Go ahead." Rowan dared her, leaning forward so their faces were inches from each other.
"I'm not scared of you." Rowan reminded her.
"You should be."