Sixteen

"Hotel hunting, now?" Dan asked, munching on his burger once they were out on the pavement again.

"I guess so." Phil said and they started making their way down the street, keeping their eyes peeled for a hotel in their price range.

*•*•*•*•*

After walking for a while, they found a very nice hotel... that was waaaaay too expensive.

So, they ended up staying in a grubby old motel.

"Almost as fancy as the restaurant!" Dan said sarcastically.

Honestly, that dumpy restaurant looked like a palace compared to this place.

Their room consisted of two twin beds, a half-rotted wooden night stand, a creepy wardrobe that definitely was hiding at least one dead body, a staticky bunny ear TV, and that was pretty much it.
No bathroom. If they had to go they'd have to use the public one in the lobby.

"Well, I don't think we can both fit on one twin bed together, so maybe we should just sleep separately tonight?" Phil suggested, disappointedly.

Dan frowned, but still agreed, "Okay." he said and flopped himself onto the bed against the left wall. "I don't know about you, but I feel like I could sleep for weeks! I'll see you in the morning."

"See you in the morning." Phil replied, switching off the lights and quickly tucking himself into his bed, trying not to think of who (or what, even) had slept in it last.

Uncomfortable in his jeans and flannel button-up, he decided to strip down to his boxers.
Since they hadn't planned on spending the night, they hadn't brought any other clothes with them.

Phil tossed and turned in the worn out sheets, trying to find a good common ground he could relax in, but it just felt weird not having Dan there to wrap his arms around him and spoon him to sleep.

He flipped over to face Dan's bed and sighed rather loudly. Dan didn't seem comfortable either. Maybe he was missing him as well? Or maybe it was just the disgusting room keeping him awake.

"Pssst!" Phil whispered, "Hey! Bear!"

Dan grunted in reply.

"Beeeeeaaaaaaar!" Phil pleaded softly.

"Shut up, kitten," He mumbled, not opening his eyes.

"I'm lonely!" Phil said childishly.

"Phil, I am barely three feet away."

"Three feet. Three thousand light years. It's all the same."
Phil sighed dramatically and flipped over onto his back so he was staring thoughtfully at the chipped paint on the ceiling.

After a moment or two, Phil peeked over at Dan through the corner of his eye. He had gone back to sleep!

"Dan!" Phil hissed again, "Don't just leave me here with my thoughts! I need someone to cuddle!"

Even though it was pitch black, he still knew Dan was rolling his eyes.
"Fine, Phil. Would you like to sleep in my--"

Phil didn't even let him finish that sentence before he was already scuttling across the cold floorboards toward Dan's side of the room.

He heard a sharp squeak and the sound of tiny feet scraping on wood and immediately flew under Dan's covers.

"Mouse." He explained when Dan get him a weird look. "I heard a mouse."

"Why didn't you just make friends with it?" Dan asked, pulling Phil down to lay beside him and draping his arm across his chest.

"I'm not going to make friends with a filthy motel mouse!" Phil said, shifting under the covers so he could look at Dan while he talked to him.