Fifteen

"Stockport Train Station
This ticket admits one passenger onto the 8:30pm train to Manchester on April 17th"
Dan read aloud from his ticket.

"So tomorrow." Phil sighed, "At eight-thirty." He looked down at his shoes and waited for Dan to get mad. But he never did.

"Uh... That's--that's okay... I guess," He said, tears filling his eyes. "I mean, I might not be there when the baby is born but at least I'll get to see them soon...." Dan was trying hard to sound positive, but Phil could hear the heartbreak in his voice.

"I'm so sorry, Dan," He said, hugging him. "Let's see if we can get a hotel room and maybe tickets for a sooner train."

"Okay," Dan agreed, silent tears falling freely down his cheeks. "Let me just call Linsey's mom and tell her we might not be able to make it to the hospital on time."

While Dan did this, Phil called the Stockport Train Station to see if they could get on an earlier train.
"No, no, that's alright..." He told the person on the other line, "Thank you anyway... Bye...."

"No luck?" Dan asked, covering his phone's microphone (he was still talking with the mom.)

Phil shook his head glumly.

"Yeah, I'm really sorry, Mrs. Glassman, we won't be able to get there today or tomorrow, but I do really want to meet my baby. H-has Linsey had it yet?... Oh! Okay! That's good! Thank you! I promise I will be there as soon as possible!"
Dan hung up the phone and smiled slightly.
"She hasn't had the baby yet, she's close though." He told Phil. "We'll still probably miss the... the actual, you know, the actual birth," Dan choked a little on the words. Phil knew how difficult this was for him, not being able to see his child take their first breath. "But, um, but we will be able to see them at Linsey's apartment when we get to Manchester."

Phil gave him a small smile and a quick peck on the lips. "I know this is hard, Dan, and this isn't even close to ideal, but it is what it is and we have to accept that."

Dan brushed away his tears with the side of his hand and forced himself to relax. "I know."

"Good." Phil's smile broadened. "Now come on. I think we deserve a nice dinner and a hotel room after all this stress!"

Dan smiled at him gratefully. "That sounds good. Thank you, kitten."

*•*•*•*•*

"Table for two?" Phil asked a server when they finally found a place to eat.

"Right this way, boys." She said, leading them to a booth near the back.

"Fancy!" Phil laughed as his eyes scanned their surroundings.

"Ha!" Dan laughed with him, "I don't know if a place named Corneal Plump's Slop Troff could be called 'fancy' but whatever you say!"

Phil smiled brightly. "We could literally be having dinner in a toilet for all I care. As long as I'm with you, I'm good." He held Dan's hands from across the table and didn't stop smiling.
"I love you."

"I love you more."

"Impossible!"

"Maybe so, but it's still true!"

They talked for a while (not about anything deep, mostly just anime) until their server came back with menus.

"Can I start you off with any drinks?" She asked, her voice drained of emotion. "Any maybe some tasty chips for the table?" By the look on her face, Phil guessed the fries probably weren't as tasty as advertised, but they ordered them anyway.