Four

Now, if Phil thought that just because Dan was being sweet last night, that everything would still be that way the next day, he was painfully wrong.

The next night, everything had already gone back to normal. Well, the new normal. The different-slut-every-night kind of normal.

Phil hated that this was a regular thing for Dan. One night stands were horrible. Especially if the other person didn't know it was only a one time thing, like a lot of the girls Dan brought home.

Dan had gone out again that night. Phil had tried to stop him. ("We had so much fun together yesterday! Don't you want to do that again? Come on back inside! Lets make another Sims video!") But Dan didn't seem to care.

Was Dan just getting bored of Phil? If that's what this was, it's not like he didn't see this coming. Phil was in his late twenties and still spending weekends on the Internet, making lion puns, and obsessing over Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Maybe Dan just wanted to have more wild experiences while he was still young. But still, Phil thought Dan liked that they could just hangout together watching anime and not feel the need to have a bunch of #YOLO moments.

I guess he was wrong.

Nevertheless, Phil would continue to be by Dan's side, through thick and thin, even if he didn't want to at times.

No matter how tempting, Phil would not abandon his best friend just because he was going through some kind of weird, twisted, phase.

It's just a phase. And phases pass. Phil had to keep reminding himself. Just like his inappropriate winking phase, this too shall pass.

But there was something strange about how Dan managed to escape Phil again this time.

Phil had begged Dan to stay, offering to make a video with him, said they could hang out together, hoping with all his heart that would be enough to convince him.

Apparently it wasn't.

And right before Dan slammed the door in Phil's face, he spat out something that would completely break Phil's heart.

He said, "You're the only reason I do this, you know!" And left.
Leaving Phil to stand in the doorway, hot tears gathering in his eyes, his suspicions confirmed and now knowing for sure that he was the cause of Dan becoming such a mess.

"I'm sorry," He whispered. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

He slowly let himself sink to the floor, holding his knees close to his chest, feeling his world crumble around him.

"Chris?" Phil said over the phone, "Can I come over?"

Ten minutes later, Phil was at Chris's flat, sitting on the sofa, hugging a throw pillow close to his chest.

"We need a plan, Kendall." He declared.

Chris looked at him weirdly, "What kind of plan? You're not thinking of doing anything rash, are you, Phil?" He asked nervously.

Phil looked up at him sadly. "I need to get Dan back in my life." He said firmly.
"The real Dan. I don't care what I have to do. I love that man and I need him in my life. I can't loose him to these idiotic bar sluts! We need a plan goddammit!" He shouted.

Chris could tell he wasn't going to let this go.

"What do you mean by a plan, though? What're going to try to do?" He asked carefully.

Chris immediately saw the gears in Phil's mind start to turn.

He messed with his hair furiously as he tried to come up with some kind of idea.
"We could-- no ... Well maybe if we-- never mind ... What if-- Ugh! This is too hard!"

Right then, something seemed to pop into Phil's mind and his eyes lit up.

An idea.

A good idea, Chris hoped.

One that hopefully wouldn't get them arrested.

That would be ideal.