т ω є и т у т ω σ

B a m b i

After brunch, Bellezza and Davey led me around the pack grounds. Bellezza explained to me that the whole pack was surrounded by a five-inch thick cinder block wall and that the Alpha's house was guarded with the same reinforcements.

"Why is there second wall?" I asked, looking down at my feet as we all walked.

"Because that's where the Alpha's family lives. The bloodline must be protected at all costs. If our pack is attacked, all of the women who aren't warriors and the children must be taken there for protection. There's a tunnel underneath the mansion that leads to a large school bus by the main road where they can escape safely to a nearby pack," she explained, reaching her hand out and softly tilting my head up.

"But what about all of the other people? Is the Alpha's family more important than innocent lives?" I asked, confused at their logic.

"Yes, the Alpha has the strongest genes. Meaning that if everyone in the pack dies but an Alpha male or female is left, they can rebuild what was destroyed," her face was serious for a moment, before she continued speaking.

"Keep your head held high, some wolves in this pack like to prey on the weak. Keeping your head down is an indirect way of submitting to those few," she smiled, releasing my chin as she continued to stride down the road on the sidewalk. As I kept my chin high, I realized how much this pack land looked like a city. I could see stores and shops down the road from where we were standing and got a little excited. I hadn't been to a real store and shopped for clothes since I was ten years old, now I wish I had my money on me so I could spoil myself a bit.

"So how'd you get here?" Davey asked, coming up on my right as Bellezza walked on my left.

"Well I found Jude about three years ago when I was running from my uncle, and Jude comforted me when I was an absolute mess. I lived in a village run by hunters, right outside of Greenwood. I was fighting the hunters-in-training so that I could get some respect and hunt with them," I sighed, turning to look at Davey who wore a soft expression on his face, surprising me a bit.

"What would ever possess you to want to be such a horrendous person?" his eyebrows furrowed, lips pursed. I had Bellezza's attention too, who looked at me with the same expression.

"My friend and I were attacked at a sporting event that was going on at our school. Your Head Warrior Araj? He was the one who led us into an ambush. Those wolves tore my best friend limb from limb, and one of them almost raped me. I can still smell her blood and feel it splatter against my skin," I said, lightly touching my arms and face.

"I would have be defiled and killed if my uncle hadn't found out that I had left the village. To this day I still have no idea how he knew, but I was just happy that he found me in time. I never ever wanted to feel that hopeless and desperate for death in my life ever again. I wanted to kill anything that was remotely supernatural after that night. I asked my uncle to train me and he did. Three years later I was our best baiter, but that's all they'd let me do, I was too 'fragile' to kill anything. But even I knew that if they let me kill our targets, I would have been the best assassin the whole damn village has ever seen," there was an underlying pride in my story, I was proud at how far I had come, but not the path I took to get here.

"Nevertheless I regret leading all of those people to their deaths. I had no idea I was a werewolf until I got shot with a silver bullet one night, trying to protect Jude. My brother broke the news to me that we were wolves, and that he didn't tell me because he didn't know if I had gotten the gene. I guess that makes me a hybrid, human and werewolf. Fletcher told me that he turned on his eighteenth birthday and that our little brother would as well.