f ι f т є є и

B a m b i

"This isn't funny Fletch, stop playing around," I barked out, pushing him off of the hospital bed.

"It's true! Why would I lie about something as serious as this?"

Oh my god, all of those people...

"Do you know what this means! I've helped kill hundreds maybe thousands of our own kind because you didn't -not once- think to tell me this! Why wouldn't you tell me something so important?" I roared loudly. I didn't care who heard at this point. I'm responsible for so many people's lives; I'm the monster here, not them.

"I didn't know if you got the gene! Look at Uncle Brian! He's certainly not one or else we wouldn't even be in Greenwood," he yelled back, pacing back and forth in the small space.

"When did you find out?" I asked, lowering my voice.

"My 18th birthday. Remember when I went to the city hospital 'cause my fever had gotten too high and no one knew what was wrong with me?" he asked, and I do remember. I was sixteen at the time, I had to stay home and watch a fourteen year old Vincent.

"There was a wolf doctor there who knew exactly what was happening, and he told me that I was changing into my so called 'wolf'. I didn't believe him at all until I passed out and woke up in the middle of the woods the next morning. He was waiting at the back entrance of the hospital for me and quietly led me back to my room. I haven't shifted since then, knowing that everyone we live with kills people like us. That's why I didn't want to become a hunter, that's why I work in here instead," he told me, sighing at the end of his tale.

"Vinny is scheduled to change on his eighteenth birthday, but thank god we can plan ahead for it," he blew out his breath as he stopped pacing and sat back down next to me.

"He showed visible signs around fourteen, when his veins started changing color and protruding against his flesh showing the change in his blood commencing. I've warned him maybe fifty times about how he is constantly sniffing the air and devouring too much raw meats. I don't want him to give himself up, because if he does, all of us are then exposed." He concluded, taking a few deep breaths.

"I think I'm going to be sick," I screeched before throwing up everything in my stomach into a nearby wastebasket. He rubbed my back and pulled my hair out of my face before helping me sit back up. He handed me a cup of water, to which I took small sips.

"How come I haven't shifted yet? I'm nineteen years old but I've never shown signs of being a werewolf," I challenged, still not fully believing what he was telling me.

"You've definitely showed signs, just not obvious ones. Its little things like what happened tonight. Or the fact that anytime you're feeling too much anger or aggression, you black out. You never remember what happens. We always end up telling you. Most of the time your eyes do this thing where they almost dilate to the point where we can barely see the color of your eyes, or they do the opposite. The last time you blacked out was on your first assignment (that you begged me to go on with you) in Atlanta - you blacked out because someone called you a word I won't repeat-, and your pupils constricted so much that I couldn't even see them. It took eleven of us to hold you down. The moment that man was out of sight, you regained your 'consciousness'," it all makes sense. I'm a werewolf. A fucking werewolf. How is this possible?

"How?" I found myself asking him.

"I'm not sure. Either mom or dad had to be one to carry the gene and pass it down. I don't know whether the gene is dominant or recessive yet. I'm working on trying to figure it out, we've had a lot of wolves in the infirmary lately," he said as he stood up and unlocked the door, walking out of the room. He came back in (locking the door behind himself) with a large three inch binder in his hands.