Chapter 17

*Izuku POV*

'Mm- why does my head feel so heavy..'
I opened one eye slightly. I was in a white room. I blinked open my eyes, the sterile white of the hospital room blinding me for a moment. The steady beep of the heart monitor was the only sound that filled my ears. My right side was met with a silence that was both unfamiliar and terrifying.

"Midoriya, can you hear me?" Shinso's voice came through, muffled, as if he was speaking through layers of cotton.

I turned my head slightly, wincing at the sharp pain that shot through my hand and up my arm. It was then I noticed the casts, the bandages, and the concerned faces of Shinso, Eri, and Kacchan hovering over me.

"What... happened?" My voice sounded hoarse, foreign to my own ears.

Kacchan's usual scowl deepened, his eyes flickering with something I couldn't quite place. "You don't remember sh[]tty Deku? You ran into a burning building, saving these two. You're lucky to be alive, Deku."

Eri clutched a small plush toy to her chest, her eyes wide and shimmering with unshed tears. "Mr. Neo.. you saved me, but you're back... and your hand... a- and.."

I tried to move, to reassure her with a touch, but my left hand was encased in plaster, and the mere thought of shifting sent a wave of agony across my back. The reality of my injuries began to sink in: a broken hand and third-degree burns.

"It's okay, Eri," I managed to say, though the effort to speak was immense. I put my right hand over my eyes, rubbing them. The door clicked open, and I uncovered my eyes, turning my head slightly to see Recovery Girl.
"Hello deary, are you feeling better?"
Her voice was slightly muffled, and I turned my head more, pain shooting across my upper back. I winced, and Recovery Gurl tutted.
"Tsk - don't move too much, deary. It won't help your recovery."
"Do you know what happened to him then!"
I looked at Shinso. His mouth was moving, but his voice was also muffled, almost half the normal volume.
"Yes, but no-one over react. It won't be good for anyone."
They all nodded and stayed quiet, listening to Recovery Girl as she spoke of some medications. I listened as well as I could, but I found it hard to focus on what she was saying. I pushed myself up using my uninjured hand. Kacchan watched me as I did this, still frowning slightly, but his expression was more worried than angry.
"Be careful, please, Midoriya. I need to tell you something so please pay attention as much as possible."
I turned to Recovery Girl, confused of why she said 'as much as possible'. She sighed slightly before walking up to my bedside.
"I'm sorry to say Midoriya, but you have lost the most part of your hearing in your right ear. It can't be repaired."
I looked at her blankly, not registering what she had just said.
"What do you mean?"
Recovery Girl sighed and looked at Shinso, who was sitting closest to me.
"If you're okay with this Midoriya, I'm going to get Shinso to tap on the side of your face.. to help you better understand."
I nodded and told her it was okay. Shinso leaned over me and tapped the left side of my face, just under my ear. He then tapped the right side of my face just under my ear. It felt normal, but I didn't hear anything like I did on my other ear. I reached up and clicked next to my ear. Nothing.
'W- what.. I'm- deaf..? No. I'm part deaf. I can still hear, but not fully..'
"I think that when the rubble and buring wood fell onto you, your head was hit, causing you to lose consciousness for a minute or two, in which time more rubble landed on you.."
I looked at Recovery Girl.
"Thank you.. for helping me.."
I moved myself to the side of the bed, putting my feet on the floor.
"Deku? Where are you going?"
"I need to get home..
"B- but you're hurt, Mr. Neo!"
"Why the hell are you calling him N, o kid?"
Eri turned to look at Kacchan, a puzzled look on her face.
"Is he not the worker at the little cafe?"
Kacchans eyes widen, d and his gaze shifts from Eri to me.
"Suprise, I guess.."
I pushed myself into a standing position, my back screaming in pain, but I ignored it. I had to get home. I needed to tell Touya and Toga that I'm OK.. I had just run off without telling them. I had just reached the door when it swung open, making me jump.