36: Love You Like My Fantasy

The warmth of the farmhouse kitchen radiated outwards, chasing away the winter chill

The warmth of the farmhouse kitchen radiated outwards, chasing away the winter chill. Dinner had been a boisterous affair, filled with laughter and the clatter of chopsticks. Now, satiated and relaxed, the Kim family, along with Aera,  they sat on cushions spread across the floor, a game of cards laid out in the center.

They were playing Go-Stop, a traditional Korean card game. Eunjin, ever the competitive one, slammed her cards down with a triumphant cry. "Yut Nori!" she declared, a wide grin splitting her face.

The rest of the family erupted in laughter. Mr. Kim, holding his cards close to his chest, feigned exasperation. "Eunjin-ah," he chided playfully, "you can't keep winning like this! Give your poor appa a chance!"

Mrs. Kim, ever the peacekeeper, chuckled and nudged her husband. "Don't be a sore loser, honey. Just admit Eunjin is the better player tonight."

As the playful banter continued, Aera, unable to participate in the game due to her blindness, sat beside Taehyung, sipping on a glass of refreshing Sikhye, a traditional Korean rice beverage.

"Aunty, this is so delicious!" Aera exclaimed, her voice filled with genuine appreciation. "It's so cool and refreshing."

Mrs. Kim beamed with pride. "Well, you should compliment Taehyung's appa for that," she revealed, glancing playfully at her husband. "He's the one who prepared it this evening."

Mr. Kim blushed a faint pink, his gruff demeanor momentarily forgotten. "Now, now, Honey," he mumbled, waving a dismissive hand. "Don't go telling everyone my secrets."

Aera's smile widened. "It is a secret then?" she teased playfully.

Just then, Eunjin, finally catching her breath from laughing, piped up. "A good secret, Aera! Unlike appa here, who can barely boil an egg!"

The room erupted in fresh laughter. Mr. Kim feigned offense, swatting at Eunjin with a playful roll of his eyes.

Just then, Aera, aware of the playful banter, spoke up, her voice light and innocent. "That's a good thing, Uncle," she said, surprising everyone with her comment. "Taehyung helps me out in the kitchen too."

Taehyung's eyes widened like saucers at her unexpected revelation. The room fell silent for a beat, the playful atmosphere momentarily suspended.

Eunjin, the first to recover from the shock, blurted out, "You guys live together? As in, like, live-in together?"

Aera and Taehyung exchanged a flustered look, both shaking their heads vehemently in unison.

"No, no, no, we don't live together!" Taehyung stammered, his cheeks burning red. "Aera just meant that whenever I visit her home, I, uh, I lend a hand in the kitchen." His voice trailed off, his stutter betraying his nervousness.

Jong-gyu, always the one to point out the obvious, chimed in with a sly grin. "Well, that's interesting," he drawled. "I always thought hyung was hopeless in the kitchen. This changes things."