Chapter 72: Resting

Lan Zhan picks up Rumi, who jumps into his arms, sucking his thumb, and then he follows Wei Ying out of the Emperor's quarters.

They make their way back to the Jingshi by the light of the stars and the moon, and all the while, Lan Zhan speaks in a low voice in Rumi's ear, letting him know that there's nothing to worry about.

Their baby had stared in alarm when the dagger pierced Prince Wu's chest, and he must have been traumatised to see such violence. Following that, the change in Li XiWang, turning into Doctor Bai Hua in a split second, was unnerving for anyone, let alone a child.

"Do you want to eat anything, my loves?" Wei Ying asks both Lan Zhan and Rumi, and he gets twin shakes of their heads.

Rumi is already half asleep when they enter the children's bedroom, so it's just a matter of tucking them in bed and kissing their little foreheads.

"Goodnight, my beautiful children," Wei Ying whispers, hugging them both.

Lan Zhan waves a hand, and the candles are extinguished, and then it's just the two of them. Wei Ying flicks a talisman on the children's door, and Lan Zhan quirks a brow in his direction.

"I just want to know when she wakes up," Wei Ying explains. "I could really use a drink tonight," he adds, slumping at their little table.

Lan Zhan goes to extract a few jars of Emperor's Smile from his secret place under the loose floorboards. They don't hide the alcohol exactly, but it's safer out of sight when there are young, impressionable kids around, and it's become an unspoken rule in their home. Wei Ying is always careful anyway, not drinking in front of the children either.

Lan Zhan sits down elegantly like a prince, shifting his robes back gracefully and lowering himself on the bamboo mat. He then holds his billowing sleeves back before pouring out wine for Wei Ying and a cup of freshly brewed silver needle tea.

Wei Ying's elbow rests upright on the table, cradling his chin as he watches the show. His grin is both delighted and exhausted, and so Lan Zhan opens his arms.

Wei Ying scoots over and then climbs into his favourite place, relaxing against the hard chest surrounding him in warmth. Lan Zhan rubs his back in large, soothing circles, instinctively knowing what he needs.

"This is nice," Wei Ying murmurs. "I feel like in between all the drama with the Emperor and his stupid son, we haven't had any time to ourselves, you know, like this."

"Mn."

The silence is peaceful and healing. They sit holding each other and letting the time pass over them. Neither is quite tired enough for bed yet. The only sound in the room is their heartbeats and the gentle, methodical sweeping swishes of Lan Zhan's sleeves as he rubs warmth into Wei Ying's back.

"What's on your mind?" Lan Zhan says finally.

Wei Ying's cheek is pressed on his shoulder, and he hums noncommittally.

"Have you noticed? Li XiWang spends longer passed out these days when she's transitioning back from Bai Hua?" Wei Ying sighs deeply.

"Mn. It used to be the time of one incense stick burning out."

"Right? But nowadays, not only is Bai Hua taking over more frequently, but Li XiWang is unconscious for longer. It's already been an hour, and she's not awake yet."

"Perhaps the physical toll on her young body and mind is greater with each instance? To merge two different personalities together so that they eventually become one is a difficult task, even if the soul is one. Whether Bai Hua is integrating herself gradually during these episodes remains to be seen, but it seems more likely."