Chapter 5: Lessons

Li XiWang is excited. Breakfast with her parents and Rumi was lovely, but she couldn't sleep last night for her anticipation about this morning.

It's far too early for her Father Wei, and yet he's still kind of awake just for her!

And it's such a privilege to learn from her Father Zhan.

She's not an idiot; she knows what people say about her parents, and she knows she's lucky for this chance. Gossip might be forbidden, but she has sharp ears, and she's aware of both of her parents’ reputations.

Early this morning, just before Haishi, she sat up in her bed and took out her sword. It was so beautiful, and in the pale light of the moon, it seemed to glow under her fingertips. She was in awe of it, this piece of metal imbibed with a direct connection to herself. She knew it contained a single strand of her hair; she could feel it inside the blade, even while the sword was tucked inside its sheath.

Her thumb had traced over the teeth of the dragon reverently, and perhaps it was her imagination, but she thought she saw the dragon wink at her.

“Take out your sword,” Father Wei tells her.

They're sitting outside in a clearing with plenty of space. The air is full of joy and excitement, the thrill of the morning as the world awakes with the first rays of sunshine lighting up the sky in the East. Late seasonal flowers cast their fragrance, perfuming the gentle breeze as it tugs on reluctant leaves slowly turning golden.

The sword thrums in her hands, a living thing.

Li XiWang takes it by the hilt and withdraws Jianmie. Carefully, she places the scabbard next to her on the ground, but the sword she lays in front of her. She wonders how they're going to go about this; and in many ways, this morning reminds her of her earliest lesson with her Father Wei when he told her about intentions. Of course, she and he got into trouble with Father Zhan because they had been a bit too reckless, but it was a lesson learned.

Wei Ying sits back now, with Rumi in his lap content to watch.

He and Lan Zhan had discussed this, and while Lan Zhan was ready to take a step back in teaching this part of a cultivator's progress, Wei Ying had argued that Lan Zhan was far more qualified if experience counted for something. Sure, Wei Ying had taught himself how to fly and had to keep it a secret until Jiang Cheng learned also, but being thrown from a sword at a great height was still a trauma he couldn't shake, and wherever possible, he preferred riding with Lan Zhan if they went by sword.

Now that they were immortal, he loves that they can just teleport anywhere they want to - but that's not the point.

Lan Zhan has always been an exemplary student, one of the youngest disciples of the Lan Clan to master the art of flying, and with him, there wasn't a sixteen year gap of not doing it, slightly more if Wei Ying counted the years of the Sunshot Campaign.

Lan Zhan never refused him anything, and when Wei Ying mentioned the Burial Mounds, he was already agreeing, hiding the flash of pain that Wei Ying’s words brought him. Anything to stop Wei Ying talking about that time and remembering it.

So he watches the two dear people in front of him, ready to step in if he's needed, but happy to remain on the sidelines. Today is an important day for Li XiWang, and he wants to make sure she enjoys it.

Li XiWang looks into the golden eyes of her father and sees nothing but patience and love.

“Close your eyes,” he says with his deep voice.

His voice has always opened up a safe place for her, a place full of potential and possibilities, within a cocoon of protection.

She has always found it soothing and calming, and today is no different. Her body naturally relaxes, and she automatically sinks into meditation. This is the first stage, the one that her Father Wei had taught her at the very beginning of her training.

It's a cleansing of her mental space, a necessary action to allow for something new to grow. Gentle with herself, she slowly discards all other awareness, letting go of her senses so that they focus, no longer angry, wild stallions being brought to heel, but trained eager horses ready to learn.

Bai Hua, another presence constantly on the periphery of her consciousness, fades away.

She concentrates on the earth, the smell of the soil fresh with dew, and the metal of her sword that essentially came from it a long time ago.

“Every sword has a Spirit. You have to make a connection with that, rather than the actual sword. This conversation should take place in your subconscious mind because that connection can only happen where there is equality. One mind to another, one awareness to another.” Lan Zhan speaks softly now.

Her mind lights up with attention, as alert as a threatened cobra, following the blue thread of her consciousness as it leads her to her sword.

I will protect you, it says to her, though it's more of a feeling than actual words. It flares up, activated by her probing.

I will wield you with justice and use that same protection to defend myself, she promises. It is a great responsibility to take a stand, to lead with virtue, and she replies to its silent question when it asks her what she wants.

Her hands stretch out in front of her, and she smiles because the dragon on the hilt of her sword appears to be smiling back at her. The humming of a new kind of energy bursts into life, and Li XiWang gasps as something cold lands on her open palms. Her eyes fly open, and she's shocked because Jianmie is resting on her hands, trembling still.

“You did it!” Wei Ying whoops, striking a fist into the air and smiling so much that his eyes have turned into crescents.

“Well done, Little Rabbit.” Even Lan Zhan smiles at her. “Remember how you did that. It is enough for today; tomorrow, we shall take it further. How do you feel?”

“Tired.” Li XiWang blurts it out and then smiles back sheepishly. Her posture slumps a bit as she puts her sword back into its place.

“That's to be expected. We don't notice it at first, but the bonding stages take a lot of your spiritual energy, and rest is the only way to cure it. You still have an hour to go before your first class?”

“Yes.” Li XiWang feels exhausted now that she's acknowledged her body's condition, but she still wants something.

Lan Zhan, as always, spots the question in her bright eyes and nods, giving her permission to speak her mind.

“Can I see how you do it? And can I practice later? Is it okay to do this more than once a day? If I can, then how many times can I?”

Wei Ying proudly and openly laughs at her enthusiasm, but Lan Zhan takes it seriously.

“It is always best to check with oneself; pushing against boundaries of capability will lead to exhaustion and illness. However, if you feel alright, there is no harm in testing yourself.”

Li XiWang nods, now just as serious as he is.

“How long did it take you to learn how to fly?” She can't seem to stop asking questions, but she's fascinated.

“Three days.” Lan Zhan’s ears are dark.

“What about you?” Li XiWang asks Wei Ying,

“About the same. It's all about the strength of your core, and yours is stronger than mine was at your age.”

Lan Zhan looks over at him, and he doesn't miss the underlying sadness in his words. Wei Ying gives him a bright smile and the slightest shake of his head, a sign that he doesn’t want to talk about it. Lan Zhan tilts his head that he understands; perhaps it's because their daughter is here, and some things should not be discussed in front of children, especially something as traumatic as a core transfer.

He will ask Wei Ying about it later.