Chapter 40: Emperor

No light inside the room means it's so dark, Wei Ying can't even see his fingers in this space. He activates a light talisman and follows it with silencing talismans just to be safe.

"This is the Emperor's receiving room," Tang Pei informs them with a wide handed gesture encompassing the area.

He goes to light the two lamps kept ready on either side of the door. Now that the room is brighter, Wei Ying takes a proper look around.

There's a seating area with silk cushions and bamboo mats, a sort of mini throne, obviously where the Emperor would sit if he was entertaining guests, next to an antique - probably an heirloom - table with an exquisite fine China tea set ready to serve. The only thing missing there was the tea. A bookcase stands against the wall full of literary treasures, books and scrolls which the Emperor must enjoy when not tending to his duties.

Countless priceless artifacts and gifts are displayed on pedestals and arranged around the room; a hand painted urn from Jiangxi province, a teapot from Longshan, a golden thread tapestry depicting a Bagua* (*Feng Shui compass) in the Hangzhou kesi design hangs between a short cabinet holding other items that the Emperor must like to look at.

The walls are painted a deep red with black lacquered wooden beams framing the floor and the ceiling, and there are no windows, probably a prevention against assassins.

Tang Pei points to the door in front of them. "This is the Emperor's bedroom. He has another private office through there."

"Let's go and meet him, then," Wei Ying says, marching forward.

"He might be asleep," Tang Pei warns them, opening the door.

Light spills into the dark room and Wei Ying repeats his cautionary steps of lighting it and securing the room from overly eager ears.

The Emperor is awake and his trembling hand is trying to reach the cup of water on his side table when he's shocked into knocking it onto the ground. It doesn't break, but the liquid goes everywhere.

"Highness! Let me help you!" Tang Pei jumps into action and is just about to pour more of the water from the jug when Wei Ying stops him.

"That's not water!" He warns him. "Can't you smell it?"

"Smell what?" Tang Pei throws an apologetic glance at the Emperor who looks distressed now, before taking a deep whiff of whatever the cup holds. "It smells of garlic, but it's very faint."

Wei Ying's instincts are kicking and screaming at him about whatever the jug of liquid holds and he looks to Lan Zhan for help. "Don't let him drink that!"

Lan Zhan immediately pulls out a gourd of water that he always carries for Wei Ying, because his husband is notorious for forgetting to hydrate. Admittedly, he must set aside his petulance that it's not actually Wei Ying drinking it. He hands it to Tang Pei who helps the Emperor sit up before helping him to drink.

Everyone bows to the Emperor but he has a pinched look on his face, as if he's struggling with something.

"Your Highness, how have you been? They would not allow me to come and visit you before today!" Tang Pei kneels, bent at the waist with his head resting on the floor at his bedside, and there's a sound, a steady plop! plop! of water falling on the floor.

Wei Ying realises that the Emperor's Advisor is crying, full of remorse for whatever has happened to their Emperor.

The Emperor himself looks very ill. His face is pale, dry in places which means he can't have been drinking water regularly, and there are dark patches under his bloodshot eyes. His skin looks papery, too transparent with bluish veins visible. Clumps of his hair have fallen out onto his brocade pillow, and his fingers shake as he motions for his Advisor to stand up.