Chapter 4: Coin

Wei Ying picks it up and examines it.

The object looks like a coin but it's so thin that this doesn't seem possible. Its edges are jagged and rough, and slightly raised, though this appears to be by design rather than accident, and there's a seal on the smooth side.

He rubs his thumb over it carefully, trying to figure out what it says. When he turns it over, there are more characters, but these are not of any language he knows. They're curved and look like squiggles carved into the unforgiving metal.

"Do you know what this could be?" He hands it over to Lan Zhan. "It's so heavy as well, and that seal reminds me of how artists sign their work. But the question is, how on earth did it end up in my robes?" He taps the side of his nose.

Lan Zhan always finds that action endearing. That, and other little quirks that make Wei Ying who he is, a brand of his character coming out no matter which body he is in. He takes the coin and looks closely at it.

It IS heavy, heavier than a normal coin, and yet its thickness is half that of copper pennies. It feels important even if it might not be.

"I have never seen anything like this before," he says, returning it.

"Me, neither. Well, let's hang onto it for a while," he yawns, dumping his robes into the trunk they were precariously balanced upon before.

"You say you last wore them in Yunmeng? We were there a few months ago, after our little tour." Lan Zhan hides a smile. How could he forget how Wei Ying wanted to defend him from old, forgotten marriage proposals?

"Yes, when we dropped off the baby Jiang disciples. Oh my!" Wei Ying takes a full turn about, thinking hard. "Do you remember that man, the one that knocked into us, and then ran off, but he was being chased by those thugs? Why didn't we get involved in that, again?"

Lan Zhan shrugs, an action not commonly deployed by him, and therefore quite unusual. "You think he might have planted it?"

"Well...to be honest, it could have been anyone, but I can't recall anyone else getting that close. Maybe we ought to ask someone?" Wei Ying paces slowly, back and forth, lost in thought.

Rumi yawns and Lan Zhan asks him if he's tired. His purple eyes shine back with half the lustre of the morning, and he nods, yawning again.

"Rumi, you are a big boy now. You know where we are if you need us, right?" Wei Ying swoops in to pick him up, pointing at the bed where he was just sitting in Lan Zhan's lap.

Rumi nods, resting his head against Wei Ying's shoulder, eyes already half closed.

"It'll be a short story tonight, I guess," Wei Ying laughs gently, kissing the top of his head.

Lan Zhan pulls back the covers on Li XiWang's bed and Rumi makes himself comfortable, and it's easy to see that he's trying so hard to keep awake. Wei Ying takes pity on him and begins.

"There once was a fox who was very clever. But unfortunately, he met a tiger who wanted to eat him. The fox said, "alright, I'll let you eat me if even one person stays to fight with me, because I'm stronger than I look. Why don't you follow me and see for yourself?"

"The tiger agreed and began to follow the wily fox, but everyone he met was scared of the tiger following him, and in the end, not one person stayed to fight the fox. The fox turned around to challenge the tiger, but he had already run away, too scared of the mighty fox!"

Rumi is out like a candle in the wind.

************

The next morning, Li XiWang came to join them for breakfast early, because her normal lessons would start soon but she wanted to learn with both of her fathers.

It was too early for Wei Ying, who was fast asleep in Lan Zhan's arms, and Lan Zhan smiled at his daughter as she entered the Jingshi.

"You may go and wake Rumi for breakfast," he says with a warm smile.

"Was he alright last night? Did Rumi sleep okay?" She asks, turning to go into her old bedroom.

"Mn. He was tired from the party."

Just like someone else, Lan Zhan thinks, looking upon the beautiful face of his husband. He doesn't know anyone who can eat while still half asleep, but trusts Wei Ying to defy the odds and attempt the impossible.

His cheeks are slightly pink, flushed from sleep and beautifully curved, his long dark lashes curling on them. His lips are pink, shiny with chilli oil as Lan Zhan feeds him one bite at a time, his eyes fluttering behind his eyelids, no doubt enjoying a sweet dream.

By the time the children have finished breakfast, and Lan Zhan has fed himself and his husband, Wei Ying is mostly awake.

"How did you learn how to fly on Suibian?" Li XiWang asks him. "Please, tell me again?"

Wei Ying can see the nervousness in her eyes, underlying her question.

"In Lotus Pier, Madam Yu made us practise over the lakes because it was a softer landing, but if we fell in, she punished us in other ways." Wei Ying waves a hand at his own words, nonchalant. "But the Lan Clan is much more laid back about stuff like that, isn't that so, Lan Zhan?"

"Mn. Do not worry, Little Rabbit. By the time you are ready to fly on your sword, you will have established a strong bond with it. The bond is more important than anything else."

"Um...I have another question," she says uncertainly.

"What is it, Little Rabbit? You know you can talk to us about anything, right?" Wei Ying pats her head gently.

"Well, how come you can use each other's swords? Or is that just for married people?"

Wei Ying grins, seeing Lan Zhan's hot pink ears. "Just for married people. You'll understand that part when you're older. But also, it happens when our spiritual weapons recognise us as extensions of ourselves."

"What do you mean?"

"We are Soul-Bonded. I know that I would not survive if anything happened to your Father Zhan, and it's the same for him." Wei Ying looks at Lan Zhan and reaches out to clasp their hands together. "So our weapons will do their best to protect us both because by doing that, they are really looking after us, each other as well. Do you understand? Your relationship with Jianmie can be so strong that no matter where you are, you will be able to call her to you."

Li XiWang nods, her burgundy eyes wide with curiosity and interest.

"Then, are you ready?" Lan Zhan asks her.

"Yes!" She scrambles to her feet.

"Then let's go outside and begin."